Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly freezes.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

Gooday all. As per the title above I am having problems with my wife's computer.
I have been through a number of processes, (see link below) and am still unable to pin this down.
I have followed all the processes that people so kindly put forward but, alas, to no avail. As stated in the linked post, we are 99% certain it is not virus/malware. That means it could be the OS or the hardware as far as I can tell.
Details as follows.
XP Home, sp3, v2002.
AMD Sempron
2600x
1.6ghz
448mb ram.
Any help gratefully received. James.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;hl=redundant
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

So what is the status today? Does the system freeze? If so, are there any corresponding events in Event Viewer which might shed clues as to why the malfunction occurs?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Have you checked to ensure that all fans are functioning properly and system is not conceivably overheating?

Cleaning A Laptop Computer - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyour...cleanlaptop.htm

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Last I saw, the system was running, with your posing a question about SASKUtil (which is a driver for SUPERAntispyware).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/SASKUTIL-18015.html

If you have SAS installed, I suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling it (possible file corruption)...and updating same.

Louis

#3 roko90

roko90

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

it seems to be processor overheating,so u need to be sure cooler is ok and remove all the dust from cooler holes

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

Is this a desktop or laptop?

If it is a desktop please open the case and look inside to see if there is a accumulation of dust, especially in the fan and heat sink on the CPU. If you are not familiar this is the fan on the large board (motherboard).

It would also help to here back regarding the findings in the Event Viewer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

Thanks all for your responses. Firstly, It is a desk top machine. I have un-installed and re-installed SAS. I am now not getting the SASKUTIL error in the event viewer.In fact the event viewer is showing nothing out of the ordinary. Last time it froze I went straight to event viewer when I restarted and there was no log of anything happening. The computer has stayed up all morning so far. I cleaned inside the case including all fan blades. However come to think of it, we have been having some really hot weather. I will check CPU temp and post it back. I dont know if it is relevant to the current issue but on start up it spends an inordinate amount of time in the blue welcome screen. Regards, James.

#6 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

I just went to bios to check out cpu temp (19/20) celcius. Whilst there I had the screen go black on me. I was able to ctrl/alt/del to get out of there and went to event viewer, nothing to report there. James.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

In order to try to get an error message...you may want to try this, How To Disable Automatic Reboot Option - http://www.datapath.co.uk/how%20to%204.htm

You may also want to take a look at your startup items, once the system loads. I suggest restricting yourself to taking a look at the Logon tab items only.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

I suggest only having startups which truly are needed (AV program, malware-defense program, firewall, etc.), rather than items which are only slowing the system down.

Louis

#8 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for your reply Hamluis. I didn't quite get the firstpart of your response. That link took me to a page about mutiple screens etc. I have Start Up Inspector on the machine and check it every so often.
I ran Auto Runs and there are a heap of things there. What should I be looking for?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

My apologies for the link...they sometimes change and I didn't bother to check to check it out.

The section, Recovery Settings, at this link is what was formerly summarized at the link I gave previously: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...el_02may13.mspx

Louis

#10 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

Gooday all. Well after having the machine in the shop and trying every piece of advice I eventually found the culprit was a set of speakers. Unplug speakers, no more freezes. Thanks for the input everyone. Regards, James.

Edited by wavemaker, 30 May 2009 - 11:40 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:42 AM

Dang, spoke too soon. It has started doing it again today. I had the tech bloke out and he ran a bunch of tests on it and we tried to get it to do it again but it wouldnt co-operate. Running like a dream now after 2 lock-ups in half an hour earlier this arvo. Is there any possibility it could have anything to do with internet connection. It is currently running wirelessly. We never had this problem before when we had an ethernet cable to the machine.

#13 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:45 AM

Well I will invite the computer gods to smack me again. After the last post I removed the wireless card and reconected the ethernet cable. No similar lock-up events to report. Soooo, I'm hoping I have it nailed this time. Thanks again for all the help. Regards, James.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users