Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can i use ddr2 ram for intel D865GSA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1

abcd_1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Hi.

i use intel pentium D 820 2.8gb
motherboard D865GSA
ddr 512 ram
80gb hard disk

i am new to technology . hence the questions may seem funny but i will continue to ask.

1) how many slots for ram does my motherboard have?
2) what is the maximum amount of ram that i can go upto?(i heard that it is 2gb. but does it mean 2gb totalling all slots , or 2gb in each slot)
3) heard that ddr2 ram is cheaper than ddr. can i use it for my motherboard?
4) To run very high end programs for what is the best possible combination of pentium processor and ram for my motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

Per the Intel site for your motherboard,

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d865gsa/

you can only use 184-pin DDR .

DDR2 is different.

From the link to the motherboard specs,

Memory : Two 184-pin DDR SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets

Support for DDR 400, DDR 333, and DDR 266

Support for up to 2GB of system memory
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d865gsa/

1. 2
2. 2gigs total/1gig per slot
3. No
4. Upgrading really makes no economic sense. If you can find some RAM cheap (not likely for that DDR1), it will make a difference. I just hate to throw money at obsolete systems(obsolete in running the latest greatest "high end" programs. "Very high end" means different things to different people. It has no dual core support. Time marches on, and old systems fall by the wayside.

EDIT: Watching Alton while typing does slow my replies down.

Edited by dpunisher, 10 March 2009 - 10:06 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

The motherboard has two slots, with a capacity of 1GB per slot, modules for this board are PC2700 and PC3200.

Per Crucial. http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=D865GSA

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:24 AM

With that PC, in order to run the latest and greatest, you would need to replace almost everything in it leaving just the case and maybe the hard drives. DDR2 is the current mainstream, so it is less expensive than the older and more difficult to find DDR. DDR and DDR2 are memory, but they have different specifications. When DDR3, the latest type of memory, becomes standard, DDR2 will become more difficult and expensive to find. When you say high-end, what programs are you referring to? You may want to consider, if you want to run the latest programs, purchasing or building a new PC.

3939.png

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:27 AM

for the latest and greatest, you might as well save up your money for a whole new system, if you just need something for casual around the house computing with perhaps just a lil more power then you got, then go ahead and upgrade the memory, otherwise I would recomend saving for a new system.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hi friends.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Feels great to get reply.

Actually when i meant high end programs i meant installing visual studio , eclipse , oracle together.

hope i can upgrade and use my pc for some more time to come.

Thanks again.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Two development environments and a database application aren't exactly needing bleeding edge computer components. I do suggest performing an extensive overhaul or purchasing a new PC altogether. A dual-core PC, 4GB of RAM, and a 64-bit OS would be far more powerful and will last a while. Thankfully, PC's with those specifications aren't very expensive especially if you install them yourself.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users