Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Assistant Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tycoon_75

Tycoon_75

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hello,
When I wanted to search a file today, I realised I didn't have any Search Assistant options to choose. I mean the assistant appears but nothing to choose below (like 'All files or folders'). And when I click on Start - Search(or Find, not sure because my Xp is Turkish) a window opens but without a title, and nothing happens when I click Tools - Folder Options. (Although Folder Options can be opened from other windows, e.g. My computer or C:)

So, what's my problem? What have I done wrong? My one-year-old son was on the computer yesterday clicking the mouse and pressing the buttons on the keyboard randomly. I think this is the cause of the problem or perhaps my computer is infected. I will be very happy if you could help me. Thanks..

Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Try doing a System Restore, choose a date prior to your problem.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hi,
Welcome to BC. I see that you have run Combofix. This might be the problem. Was the tool run with the assistance of a trained helper? If your computer was infected, and you didn't not purge your system restore after the cleanup you might reinfect your computer by running system restore.
Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#4 Tycoon_75

Tycoon_75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hello again,
I tried doing a system restore but when I clicked System Restore in System Tools, nothing happened. I did the same for a second time and a blank window opened.

Posted Image

I closed that window, tried to start it again and nothing happened. I tried to start it once more and that blank window opened again. So the first time you try to start it, nothing happens and if you do it again a blank window comes up.
I had a look at System Restore in services.msc and it says "Started". I stopped and then re-started it but nothing changed. So in this case I think it looks like formatting and re-installing Windows. I scanned my hard drives with Eset Smart Security and no threats were found. But I know from experience that E.S.S. can't detect all malicious software. Perhaps this is the work of some viruses running in background. Anyway thanx a lot for your help.

#5 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hi Tycoon,
Again I think this may well be secondary to combofix. If your computer is clean you could consider a Repair Install instead of a Clean Install (reformat). It will preserve your data. You will find instructions here @ ttp://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Hope that helps,
t
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

#6 Tycoon_75

Tycoon_75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

Hello,
I read the article you recommended and slipstreamed my xp installation cd with SP3. I started doing a repair installation but during the installation I met with the blue screen which stated that a serious error was detected and my windows was shut down to protect it. I tried doing it three more times but the same "windows stopped" screen interrupted the installation. Then I decided to install windows xp after formatting my hard drive. ( I'd backed up all the data on drive c: previously.) Now I have my xp sp3 back and in excellent condition although it took quite some time. By the way the article you offered, (How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install) and the other articles referred ("Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2" and "Windows XP Crashed? Here's Help; A salvage mission into the depths of Windows XP") and the Warnings #1, 2, 3 were really informative and do contain a lot of useful tips and solutions. I helped a couple of friends with NTLDR problem, for example. Knowing there are people willing to help you out of hardware and software problems really makes me feel proud and confident (Internet doesn't mean viruses or deceving people only. These are the "good sides" of Internet.) Thank you very much indeed for your help.

#7 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:19 AM

Glad to help. :thumbsup:
Pleased all is well,
t
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users