Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This FORUM

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

I am thinking about starting a forum on my website and need a software for it. Thus, I was wondering if I could download this forum application from somewhere for free? Or any other suggestions?

P.S. My website forum would be related to economics :-) not computers.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

The forum software we are using is not free. However an older version is free and they will host it here: http://ipbfree.com/home/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Another great free forum provider is www.proboards.com

I have worked with proboards forums for about 8 years now, and I know the ins and outs of it (administration (ex global mod of a very popular graphics design forum for about 3 years.. and also design and coding i can help with) so if you feel like trying out them, let me know if you need help. If you check the site, there are almost 3million forums people have made, with just over 750million total posts accross all the 3million forums :thumbsup:

Edit: Animal, is this forum phpbb?

Edited by dark messenger, 10 March 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

Edit: Animal, is this forum phpbb?

No it isn't. It is IP.Board. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

@Animal: And how much would such forum cost?

@All: If I am administering my own forum - My idea is that I just put to my website FTP and it will work by itself. Am I being naive? Is there a lot of work involved with it?

Edited by patbox, 11 March 2009 - 08:25 AM.

#6 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

For this type of forum..., check here for prices

ProBoards admin controls - link

Main page buttons - link (excuse the graphics, I never finished it, :thumbsup:)

Edited by dark messenger, 11 March 2009 - 11:13 AM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

@All: If I am administering my own forum - My idea is that I just put to my website FTP and it will work by itself. Am I being naive? Is there a lot of work involved with it?

I've not used IPB myself, though I have used other forum software (PHPBB). In addition to FTP'ing the files to your server, you will need a database, most likely a MySQL database. Most hosting companies proide database support and MySQL is the most popular. However, most free hosting packages do not include database support.

As I said, I've not used IPB. I image, however, that the setup process is not much different from PHPBB which involves creating a new (blank) database, uploading the forum files to a directory, visiting the setup page that you just uploaded, and providing the database info (DB name, password, and server address) to the installation page and letting it run. It's not that hard, really.

Your hosting company can help you to set up the database. Just make sure that you have those three bits of info on hand when you install it.

#8 Butwut

Butwut

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

http://www.Forumotion.com has a great, straight-forward approach to forum hosting. no bs with the forced ads and whatever else. Their support forum is very nice, very easy to navigate and get help when needed. The staff is definitely an awesome addition to the service.

Edited by Butwut, 13 March 2009 - 09:27 AM.

#9 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

http://www.Forumotion.com has a great, straight-forward approach to forum hosting. no bs with the forced ads and whatever else. Their support forum is very nice, very easy to navigate and get help when needed. The staff is definitely an awesome addition to the service.

Interesting, and it seems free :-) It will be a forum on www.forumotion.com website? I was lookiing for a forum I could put on my own web site. But this is definitely interesting, if you do not want to host the forum yourself. Many different styles.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

You could look at http://www.freehostia.com as a free web host. They include PHP4/5 and MySQL support in their free package. I can't say much for their servers, though: slow and somewhat unreliable. Their support staff are excellent, though.

#11 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

@Animal: And how much would such forum cost?

Years of hard work, headaches and a lot of help. Only then it may be worth what it cost, never mind the financial costing. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users