Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lexmark X1185 All-In-One Instalation Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:21 AM

Hope this is in the right place. i can't install the printer because this message comes up...

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT - The system file is not suitible for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications. Please clikc 'Close' to terminate the application.

I don't what happened it installed when i got it about 3 months ago. Deleted all my user accounts and created a new one. And i went to print and it said that the driver was not installed. so i though the easiest way was to remove it and re-install it. i removed all traces from the hardrive. and tried to install it. Any suggestions? i found this from this website:http://kb.bighammer.com/article.aspx?id=10003

The following error message is appearing for some users when trying to open the program with Windows XP Operating System:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The reason that this error is occurring is due to the AUTOEXEC.NT file not existing in the System 32 folder. It appears that many preventative software pieces such Pop-Up blockers, spyware, adaware programs are recognizing this file as being associated with viruses and removing the file.

To fix this error,right click on the attachment AUTOEXEC.NT located below under "Article Attachments"; then click on SAVE TARGET AS, and save it into the System32 folder. This can be completed by saving the file into C:\WINDOWS\system32 if you are running Windows XP.

Then proceed to open up the program again. You should now be able to open the program without seeing this error.

But it didn't help. i have sent a message to the Lexmark company to see what they say but they can take a while so i though if anyonne has any ideas please feel free to put them in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:59 AM

Well i have the printer installed but when i go to print it come up with Fax but not the printer and just don't know what to do.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:15 AM

There should be some tabs that you can select the printer and what type of printing you can do.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:18 AM

i have it installed but it says that i don't have a printer installed. So i click on add printer and it says that a print spool is not running.

it seems like i'm having trouble with the Spool not running (spoolsv.exe)
and i think the printer driver for x1185 Lexmark.

Edited by Izzy, 09 June 2005 - 03:27 AM.

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:04 AM

I have contacted the Lexmark company and they reckon its WIndows XP Service Pack 2 but i have had the print since March this year and Service Pack 2 Last year and it was working fine so any they ended up having having no idea on what to do. I ended up contacting Big W (Where i got it from) and told them about the whole thing and ended talking to the manager and i can change the printer over for another one. But i didn't want another Lexmark since they were unable to help. So i asked if i could get a canon, because my last canon i had ended up with a problem i contacted Canon company they fixed it, not straight away but the same day. So i'm happy to go back to Canon.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hurray! I've exchanged my lexmark for a canon PIXMA iP1500. Got my $98 refund and spent an extra $21 for it. $119 including Ink, USB plus 5 sheets of standard size photo paper. It is installed, done the print head alignment and it is working terrific. Plus it prints better quality to Lexmark. And the ink is cheaper. $11.95 black (Lexmark $54) and $26.95 colour (LExmark $59). I am happy. I do have a friend who had a LExamrk and said they've had it for 6 years and never had trouble with it, i may have just got a dud. But why would it have worked for 3 months then have driver problems that nothing i nor the company could fix. Could a virus had got into it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users