Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Internet on 64-bit Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LeBon

LeBon

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, 64-bit version
Antivirus is NOD32
Windows Defender is on
Firewall is standard Windows Vista firewall
Internet connection is VDSL2, dynamic IP

I can't use my Internet connection anymore:
- all browsers are reporting that they can't find page I'm looking for
- antivirus NOD32 has stopped updating
- almost all programs whisch use internet are crashing by closing them
- programs which connects to internet are:* Internet Explorer 64-bit
* Windows Update
* Windows Vista Sidebar Gadgets
User Account Control (UAC) was off - now I turned it on.

Antivirus NOD32 doesn't find any problems.

Before problems I didn't install any new programs, but I made some actions:
- I added one new user, with same username and password, user was Standard user, not Administrator (I removed this user now)
- I shared some folders to the new user
- before was computer connected directly on VDSL modem/switch, now was connected first through wirelles router/switch

Because I thought I had to deal with malware I first posted in HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal, but without success, my post was http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/203745/internet-connection-on-64-bit-vista-hijacked/, so you can check what we already tried.

Please, help!
LeBon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

It appears that you can connect to the web, it's just that some apps cannot. I'd suspect port issues - but with the browsers the port usage is fairly standard (80 for http and 8080 for https).

Had you removed some infections from your system before submitting the HiJackThis log? It could be damage that was caused by that that's causing this problem.

For starters I'd disable the NOD32, Windows Defender, and the Windows Firewall (one at a time) to see if that permits traffic. DON'T FORGET TO TURN THEM BACK ON!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 LeBon

LeBon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:41 AM

My suspicions were the same as yours, that some removed infection left the damage in my system. But I didn't remove anything, neither I din't find anything in NOD32 log.

I tried as you suggested, disabling NOD32, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. No changes. :thumbsup:
(Now they are back on.)

When you mentioned port problems, I tried http (not working), https (not working) and then ftp (working (see Pict 1) but strangely).
When I'm trying to open FTP site in Windows Explorer (from 32-bit version of Internet Explorer) it says that it's problem with my proxy settings (see Pict 2).
But I don't use any proxy?! (see Pict 3).
(In 64-bit version of Internet Explorer is everything working normally.)

Pict 1:
Posted Image

Pict 2:
Posted Image

Pict 3:
Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

I suspect that this is the problem (but am not familiar enough with DSL to tell):

before was computer connected directly on VDSL modem/switch, now was connected first through wirelles router/switch

Try connecting directly to the VDSL modem/switch to see if that "fixes" it. If so, then it's a wireless router/switch issue (or an issue with your ISP). An ISP issue could be that the ISP is not allowing the new device to connect. Most ISP's identify your device by the MAC address - and there's a different one for the computer that was connected and the router that's now connected.

Another issue could be with the wireless security. Try setting the wireless router up without security to see if you can connect.

Beyond that I'd try:
- Repairing TCP/IP
- Repairing WinSock
- Removing and reinstalling your network card drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 LeBon

LeBon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

There is (probably) no problem with ISP, ISP hardware and wireless router. I've disconnect wireless router and connected my computer directly to VDSL modem. No change. :thumbsup:

I connected my laptop (Windows Vista Business 32-bit) to same port to VSDL modem with same network cable and is working normally.

I have two laptops (Windows Vista Business 32-bit & Windows Vista Home 32-bit), connected wireless to Internet, both are working normally.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled network card drivers. No change. :flowers:

How do I repair TCP/IP and Winsock? I've googled article How to Repair Winsock and TCP/IP at wikiHow. Should I follow these steps?

LeBon

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

I'm going to move this over to the Networking forum. The folks that hang out there know a lot more about this stuff.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Wilders has official Eset support forum. Chances are pretty high you'll get help there from Eset experts.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88

When you ask, specify your computer, exact version of Windows, exact version of NOD32 (2? 3? 4?)
Tell what firewall you use and whatever other security programs run.
Describe how you've set up NOD, specifically web filtering, http, ftp and other ports etc.
(Have you tried turning those off in NOD as an experiment?)
There have been MS fixes for vista and NOD itself has settings for the local proxy port (in v3 for instance but not in 2 and I think not in 4) which might play a role in your troubles.

If they rule out Eset as a cause, they might point you in some other direction.

Edited by tos226, 12 March 2009 - 08:58 PM.

#8 LeBon

LeBon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

There is no problem with NOD32. I've disabled NOD32 and there were no changes. Also only IMON module.

Problem should be somewhere else. Any idea?

LeBon

#9 LeBon

LeBon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

Problem solved! :thumbsup:

I found out that 64-bit applications could use the internet, but 32-bit applications couldn't. Why? No idea!

But somebody told me that there is probably the problem with Winsock. So I used command netsh winsock reset in Command Prompt (as described at Repair and Reset Windows Vista TCP/IP Winsock Catalog Corruption), restarted the computer and it started working.

Thank you guys again for your time and your efforts.

LeBon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users