Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choose Operating System Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nickat Night

Nickat Night

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

I have Windows XP Home, SP 3 on a Dell Desktop PC. Whenever I boot (or reboot) I get a screen that requests that I choose the Operating system to use. It times down from 30 seconds and chooses the 1st option if I do not choose one of them. However, the 2 choices are exactly the same ... MS Windows XP Home Edition (and it makes no difference as to how the system boots ... or how the PC works after booting if I pick one or the other).

I cannot restore to an earlier point as it has been going on for a long time. I don't know exactly when it started. ... but I suspect it happened during a re-formatting of my hard drive.

Any idea how to stop this ?? Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

This should eliminate the situation (I hope): Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

Just curious here, if you look in the Disk Management how many partitions do you see?

Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Disk Management.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Nickat Night

Nickat Night
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

Louis .....
Thank you very much. That fixed the issue. :thumbsup:

dc3 - I checked that before I tried Louis' fix. There was only 1 partition- for the C Drive

#5 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Thank you to Nickat Night for posting this! I had my HDD reformatted and a clean install of WinXP Home done mid-february and have been getting this boot up black screen as well ever since! I too went from a former 2 partition HDD to a 1 partition drive, per the tech that did the work. Did Ramesh's instructions to fix per Louis' link and the ugly black screen has gone and Windows regular boot up screen jumps right in now. So far, Ramesh fixes and easy-to-understand instructions have always done right by me on several occasions over the years, I have to say. Glad I stopped in & saw this post!
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users