Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pub sample database

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BobLewiston

BobLewiston

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

I heard of a sample database called Pub. Does anyone know about it? Is it an SQL Server sample database that, unlike AdventureWorks, doesn't require SQL Server's Full-text Search capability to install? That's what I need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I have never heard of it.

Not that it is any of my business, but why not just use MySQL? If I have been following your posts, all you are trying to do is connect to a database.

#3 BobLewiston

BobLewiston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

groovicus:

I followed the link http://dev.mysql.com/downloads you gave me in my thread "Any other SQL or MS Access / OleDb databases available?", and it said it was for those who had:

* their own method of keeping their systems up to date and are comfortable upgrading and configuring MySQL,
* time to monitor and adjust the MySQL settings that will tune, scale and maintain performance,
* experience with database security so that they know when a security breach has occurred,
* experience designing, setting-up and monitoring the status of MySQL replication,
* time to identify and resolve technical issues for themselves and others, and
* time to design and tune application code, database schemas and dynamic queries for optimal performance.

That sounded like a lot of time and experience I didn't have.

But maybe I misunderstood. Are you of the opinion that if I used MySQL to set up a small, simple, relatively static database that only I would access, it would be fairly quick and easy to do so?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Installing and setting up MySQL is easy. You would still have to create a test database, which if you do not know SQL, would require a learning curve. Maybe not the best solution
If I were you, I would install something like Wamp or Xampp. That will install a MYSQL database for you ( along with apache and php, but that is beside the point... you don't have to run the apache server. All you want is a database that you can use. Creating a simple database is pretty simple; a database with a single table and a couple of columns is all you should need. And actually, the MYSQL database will have a few tables used for record keeping that may suffice.

I am just trying to figure out an option for you since the tutorial is outdated. I found some c#/mysql tuts that may help (or may not):
http://www.functionx.com/mysqlnet/csharp/Lesson02.htm
http://bitdaddys.com/MySQL-ConnectorNet.html

No matter what you do, it is going to be painful. Learning to connect to databases can be tough.

#5 BobLewiston

BobLewiston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

groovicus:

Installing and setting up MySQL is easy. You would still have to create a test database, which if you do not know SQL, would require a learning curve. Maybe not the best solution
If I were you, I would install something like Wamp or Xampp. That will install a MYSQL database for you ( along with apache and php, but that is beside the point... you don't have to run the apache server. All you want is a database that you can use. Creating a simple database is pretty simple; a database with a single table and a couple of columns is all you should need. And actually, the MYSQL database will have a few tables used for record keeping that may suffice.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that..?
* installing and setting up MySQL is easy and in itself would not require much of a learning curve, and
* either I can create a simple MYSQL database myself (which is pretty simple), OR I can install Wamp or Xampp, which would also install an MYSQL database that has a few tables that "may suffice".

I have a couple questions:
* What are Wamp and Xampp?
* What is the relationship between MYSQL and SQL Server? Can either DBMS access databases created by the other?

I am just trying to figure out an option for you since the tutorial is outdated. I found some c#/mysql tuts that may help (or may not):
http://www.functionx.com/mysqlnet/csharp/Lesson02.htm
http://bitdaddys.com/MySQL-ConnectorNet.html

I certainly appreciate the additional tutorials, which I will study, but to my knowledge, the only way that the tutorial I've been studying is outdated is that the remote sample databases it offers are no longer available; is that what you mean?

No matter what you do, it is going to be painful. Learning to connect to databases can be tough.

I was able to connect to the Northwind MS Access / OleDb sample database relatively painlessly. Would learning to connect to an SQL database be much more difficult?

#6 BobLewiston

BobLewiston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

groovicus:

Just in case I can't make AdventureWorks work, I'd still appreciate it if you'd care to respond to any one of my above questions.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

Sorry.. I have been swamped.

installing and setting up MySQL is easy and in itself would not require much of a learning curve

Installing MySQL is easy. There are very clear instructions.
Creating a simple database is also easy, and this reference should help.

What are Wamp and Xampp

They are bundled packages designed to make it simple for a user to set up their own web server. The A stands for Apache, the M stands for MySql, and the P stands for PHP. The W stands for Windows, in that it is configured to run on windows. I am not sure what the X means, but that package also runs on windows. The exptra P in xampp is for Perl. Eithr of those packages will install a MYSQL database for you.

MySQL by default has some tables that you can query if you want. Of course, you are going to want to learn to write to the database, so you will want to learn how to create a database also, as well as add data.

What is the relationship between MYSQL and SQL Server? Can either DBMS access databases created by the other?

They are both relational databases based on the SQL query language. They both work differently, but the difference is largely transparent to the user. As far as I know, they can not access each other directly. One would need an intermediate program to handle the translations, but that is trivial since the connectors really handle the hard work.

Would learning to connect to an SQL database be much more difficult?

Probably not for you. You have programming experience already. For beginners, it can be tough. Most of the time I have no problems either, but every once in a while things go wrong.

#8 BobLewiston

BobLewiston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

MySQL by default has some tables that you can query if you want. Of course, you are going to want to learn to write to the database, so you will want to learn how to create a database also, as well as add data.

Point taken, but are you saying you can't add to the existing database?

Can (MYSQL and SQL Server each) access databases created by the other?

...As far as I know, they can not access each other directly. One would need an intermediate program to handle the translations, but that is trivial since the connectors really handle the hard work.

What intermediate programs? (What are their names?) Is this done on the fly, or do you have to run a program to convert the entire database in advance? (Actually, I don't know what you mean by "connectors".)

BTW, thanks for all your help so far. I don't doubt that you'd be swamped moderating these forums.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

Point taken, but are you saying you can't add to the existing database?

What I mean is that you can't add to the default existing tables. They store information such as users, passwords, mete-data about other tables in the database, etc. Let me rephrase that. You probably could, but you would break the database.

What intermediate programs?

I don't know of any programs specifically that will do it. I mean more along the lines of a utility that you write that reads from one database using their specific connector, and writing it to another database using their specific connector.

Connectors are libraries that allow a user to connect to a database without having to do all of the grunt work, ie. negotiating a connection to a database. Since each database works a bit differently, they each have their own connector libraries. MySQL has a connector for if you are using Java, or ADO, or C#. There is pretty much a connector for any type of database, no matter the language that you are using.

BTW, thanks for all your help so far. I don't doubt that you'd be swamped moderating these forums.

Not a problem. We have a really good staff, so the work is pretty balanced among all of us. The programming sections of the forum give me a chance to do something other than babysitting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users