Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP Please with TEMP File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 10garem

10garem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

When OR after I defrag C: HD it shows 18% fragmented (I have used 3 different defrag programs)
C:\ is 37.2 GB with 7.22GB Free Maybe not enough free space run Defrag correctly - I am not sure on this
This started 2 weeks ago before that I would always after defrag shows 5-7 % fragmented
Operating Sysytem is Win XP Pro

I have did lot research on Defrag .tmp / temp
Temp folder - ATF Cleaner - defrag on boot up NONE of these helps for what I want do and that is Defrag OR delete
Temp file found when I do Start / Search for .temp or .tmp
This flie \temp128792077656875000 which is almost 4GB in size
Also when I use Win Defrag it says this file can not be defrag

If I look at Protories for this file it shows C: BUT THAT is all - I thought about create folder say test and move this file there BUT
can not find this large temp file and I have looked in Hide folders and files.

You think it would be safe delete this Large \temp128792077656875000 which is almost 4GB in size IF I my data back uped.
And create Restore point before deleteing ? Would restore point work for something like this IF NEEDED?

2ND question: Is it OK to Delete all .tmp that are located after doing search on C;| drive
frms18c.tmp C:\ Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_AOL 9.0\spool 0KB TMP file
I have 200 or more these files with different name that start with: frms FEW starts RAR FEW with Fcs

I have read NOT to worry about defrag if computer running OK which mine is.

Any help - suggestion will be GREATLY appreicated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

The bottom line is that you don't have enough free space for swap space. On a drive of that size you need to have 15% free space for swap space, removing 4GB isn't going to achieve that, you are going to have to remove some of that data. I would suggest a second hdd, a 40GB hdd is not very large by today's standards, you could also just move files on to CDs, DVDs, or flash drives.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Isn't 15% of the 37.2 gig hard drive only 5.58 gig? Even if it is really a 40 gig, 15% would still only be 6 gig. He already has 7.22 gig free, which is more than the 15% required, and if he removed the 4 gig file, he would be sitting pretty at just over 11 gig free. Btw, I have the same size hard drive and really do not feel the need for one bigger than that. I only have half of it full and have everything I want on it.

As to deleting the temp files, it has always been my understanding that temp files, as well as check files can be deleted without any problem.

Btw, if that file was on my system, I would create a restore point, delete it to the recycle bin, restart my computer, do some of the things on it that I usually do, and if I had no problems, I would empty the recycle bin and then create another restore point. If there was a problem, I would restore it from recycle bin and if there was problem starting the computer using normal bootup, I would boot into safe mode and either use the restore point I just created or restore it from recycle bin then restart normally. However, I really do not believe there would be any bootup problems caused by removing that file. After doing that file, I would delete all other temp files, especially any in a Temp folder, whether it be in the Windows directory or the Documents and Settings folder. I would also delete all .chk files as sometimes those can be quite large as well

Edited by Stang777, 10 March 2009 - 08:12 PM.

#4 10garem

10garem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

Thanks dc3 and Stang777 for helpful replies

As Stang notice I do have over 15% of free space. For last 8-10 months I have had keep eye on free space on this C:\ drive

I have and use many programs and I store most stuff on second 120 GB HD which only has 15GB free.
Yes I do lot with Pictures and video clips

Gentlemen I have now come up with ideal that this large 3.9GB tmp file is or has to do with Restore points.
This computer for some reason creats restore point daily at present time going back to Feb 15th System checkpoint it says.
Thatís 25 Restore points. WAY TOO MANY

Yesterday I changed % of space allowed for restore points from 12% (4579) mb to 6% (2389) mb I have turned off computer - shut down 4-5 times since doing this and there are no changes all restore points are still there.

I have 2 other newer / faster computers with Larger C: drive and Much larger 2nd drives BUT this is U could say MY number #1 computer
for 3-4 yrs has always operated very smooth and never problem. IBM 6229 - 20U 2.4 with one GB Rdram memory.
Just let U know I also have 3 External HD I use back up different drives / computers

I am going to go into settings for Restore points and Turn off Restore points and this will Delete / remove all restore points.
Run Defrag program and see what it comes up with.
Then I am going disconnect 2nd HD and hook up 120 or 250 GB HD and then Clone C:\ drive to 2nd HD
After I make sure the new 120 or 250GB HD operates OK (after 2-3 days use) If needed I will run search .temp and if it comes up with this Large tmp file I will hook back up the 40GB HD and Delete this Large tmp file. Later I will do same thing and delete all .tmp files found when run search and as I said earlier there are over 200 of these and few others.

I have just bought two 750 GB HD which I will start use as 2nd HD (storage)

This all sounds simple delete tmp files BUT after person or in my case delete all these tmp files in temp folder or with disk clean up
then do search for .temp (and or) .tmp I come up with all these others.
But then again - why do it simple if you can make it difficult

I not sure how I ever got started on this but I have learned few things by doing so.
:thumbsup: HEY I am 71 yrs of age and there is just not enough hours / minutes in a day

Thanks again
Harold

Edited by 10garem, 11 March 2009 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users