Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, Possible memory problems.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sma1dad

sma1dad

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

I have been having a lot of issues with BSOD's with various different error codes. Then computer would not reboot at all so I started taking out sticks. I have 4 1Gig sticks of Crucial Ballistiks 6400 DDR2. With one stick out i was able to get my computer to post and boot up. decided to run mem test and found another stick that seemed to be bad after trial and error of removing sticks. So then I had the two sticks in and ran mem test in windows for the whole day and everything seemed ok, 10 times though with 0 errors. then over night it shutdown with BSOD again. Rebooted and run mem test and it had many errors. Reseated Ram and no errors all day again about 10 times though and then in morning BSOD and then memory errors with mem test until I Kill power and reseat RAM and now again it seems to be operating fine but I know it wont last. Any idea what could cause this? I figure its either RAM, motherboard, CPU or Power supply but not sure how to figure out which one without spending a fortune. I am running Vista 32 with service pack, Core 2 quad Q6600, Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, Nvidia 8800 GTS. Antec Tru power Trio 650W power supply. Giga byte Triton case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

First off you have 4 gigs with only 32 bit os? Your wasting your memory windows wont recognize it all. What speed are you running the memory at? And lastly can you write down the BSOD error codes and post them.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 sma1dad

sma1dad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

I know its wasting memory, tried out 64 bit vista for a while but a few things I lost like viewing my wifes RAW files in windows was a deal breaker. Have to keep her happy. Anyway posting the error codes, well there have been a ton of them and every one different so I did not write them down. memory is running at 2.2 V 4-4-4-12.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

Those are stock timings for the memory which is ok.. What FSB are you running the processor at? Any Overclocking?

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 sma1dad

sma1dad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

800Mhz FSB, no overclocking . One question, when setting voltages of the memory it has +.1, +.2 and so on this is from 1.8 right? I have it set at +.4 so that would be 2.2.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

Here is the Microsoft mem diagnostic, download, burn to CD and boot with the burned CD.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Just to check, slack off timings (5-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-18) as well while keeping your voltage at 2.0-2.2v. Running 4X1 sticks instead of 2X2 is tough on a memory controller. Might aim a fan at the interior of the case to keep stuff cool and see if anything improves.

EDIT: for spelling, just pathetic.

Edited by dpunisher, 10 March 2009 - 04:09 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 sma1dad

sma1dad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

OK backed off on timings. Still over night it shutdown. yesterday I ran the microsoft memory test and it did not find any errors. Errors only appear after I have had a BSOD. And now seem to continue until total power reset (switch in back is turned off) If I just push the button on front windows continues to crash until back switch is cycled. Seems very strange to me. Power Supply? I am not leaving enough time for things to cool off just off then on.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

This is where I have the advantage, I can throw lot's of parts at a system and see what fixes it. Beg/borrow/steal/buy a power supply to use and see if that fixes your problem. After that I suspect a motherboard (assuming nothing is overheating). You have reached the "replace with known good part and retest" section of the diag.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

If your computer was overheating it would let you know before you turned it off. I am kind of out of suggestions as Dpunisher eluded to you should start with the power supply then head on to the MB. I am thinking its the Mb or memory since it will only reset/work after all the power has been removed from the system which would discharge the memory erasing anything that may be causing the hold up.

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Memory errors can be caused by almost anything - but the fact that you get a BSOD and then have memory issues seems to indicate a problem with the motherboard. But I'm not sure how this could even happen since it fixes itself.

Heat can cause issues with the microscopic wire traces on the mobo. If the trace is broken, but making contact, the heat that the current creates can cause the trace to warp and break contact.

Another possible issue is a driver corruption - most probably with the motherboard or chipset drivers.

Finally, it's possible that this is a problem with the BIOS, so check for any BIOS updates that relate to memory issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users