Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Argh, I hate Computers!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

O.K., if you haven't seen my other threads I will recap here.

A few weeks ago my computer was getting really sluggish and "buggy". After following all the guides on this site it was better, but not the way it should be. I decided to reformat my C: and just start fresh. I tried to move my important files onto my slave drive only to get an error message saying that it needed reformatted. CHKDSK will only get to 69% each and every time, so I figured it was dead. After wasting two days moving files from my computer to this computer on a 4g flash drive, I reformatted and re-installed windows XP. After installing my Belkin network adapter I was asked to restart my computer. After doing so the COMPAQ screen took much longer than usual before moving onto the XP loading screen, where the loading bar froze.

After messing around for a few days and mashing F8 like crazy, I was able to get the computer to run in Safe Mode with Networking.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

I was thinking about trying the hard drive in another computer to see if it works correctly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

"After installing my Belkin network adapter I was asked to restart my computer. After doing so the COMPAQ screen took much longer than usual before moving onto the XP loading screen, where the loading bar froze."

Is the Belkin network adapter a "add-in" or something built in ?

If XP worked alright before you installed the Belkin Adapter apparently the adapter is causing an issue.
Try going to the manufacturers website & DL the newest drivers for your Belkin Wireless Adapter.

If you want to confirm that the adapter is the problem uninstall it in Safe Mode, remove it, & restart the computer normally.
If it starts to the desktop with no problem I would get a different network adapter.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

I suppose it could be a lot of things, but I would start first with your hard drive. Do you have a spare hard drive you can use to test (use for a temporary install)?

Could you also post some information on your pc? (i.e. hard drive model numbers, motherboard info, etc) Thanks! Good luck!

#4 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

"After installing my Belkin network adapter I was asked to restart my computer. After doing so the COMPAQ screen took much longer than usual before moving onto the XP loading screen, where the loading bar froze."

Is the Belkin network adapter a "add-in" or something built in ?

If XP worked alright before you installed the Belkin Adapter apparently the adapter is causing an issue.
Try going to the manufacturers website & DL the newest drivers for your Belkin Wireless Adapter.

If you want to confirm that the adapter is the problem uninstall it in Safe Mode, remove it, & restart the computer normally.
If it starts to the desktop with no problem I would get a different network adapter.

The network adapter is an "add-in", I could try uninstalling it and seeing what happens.

I suppose it could be a lot of things, but I would start first with your hard drive. Do you have a spare hard drive you can use to test (use for a temporary install)?

Could you also post some information on your pc? (i.e. hard drive model numbers, motherboard info, etc) Thanks! Good luck!

No one will trust me with a spare harddrive since I killed two this month :thumbsup: . What I might do is try and install in in another PC instead and see if it boots O.K.

I ran Belarc on this PC, but I can't seem to figure out how to post the results without hand typing everything!

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

I can understand that! I know reinstalling XP isn't always the fastest process, but maybe try a full format instead of a quick format when you set up your disks. If it makes it all the way through, then the disk is most likely fine. (Who knows why chkdsk wouldn't complete...)

#6 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

I forgot to mention, I did both quick and full format already.

What I did do was take the hard drive out of my computer and try it in another PC, it didn't work. I then tried the hard drive from that computer in my PC and it worked fine.

So I guess I have narrowed it down to the hard drive.

My only worry now is something else in my computer killing my hard drives? I lost two within a month and am afraid of buying a new one only to have it killed as well!

#7 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

I've seen a lot of hard drives go bad - I suppose it could be somthing in your computer, but I doubt it. The good thing about buying a new one will be the guarantee. Seagate has a 5 year warranty on most of their new drives, so you should be covered if anything happens there (just keep your receipts!). What type of hard drive interface do you have? SATA or IDE?

#8 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

It is a 60 gb Western Digital IDE.

Is there anything to the fact that I can get it to work more often then not if I boot in Safe Mode with Networking, or is this just a coincidence?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Well...if I had more than one hard drive apparent failure...I think I'd start looking at other components (power supply, motherboard, RAM).

The fact that it seems to work properly in safe mode...should indicate a driver issue, IMO.

Conflicting premises :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

Louis is right - the hard thing though is finding which part is going bad. Having a known good drive would definitely help narrow it down. I have a 160GB Seagate IDE that works fine alone in an older PC, but when I add another (80GB Maxtor), the Seagate wimps out on me and I get all kinds of errors. Best thing I can figure is that the power supply is a little weak for everything. Since it's an older PC that is mainly used for Folding@home, I don't care too much anymore.

Actually, you might be able to find something really cheap on ebay since IDE isn't used much anymore. Might be a good way to rule it out...

If you're not getting a blue screen on bootup, you might try again with another clean install of XP... Just a thought...

#11 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

Would it be a good idea to try and reformat the hard drive while it is hooked up to a working computer?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

Would it not make sense...at this point...to run a diagnostic on the hard drive in question?

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#13 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:39 AM

I can only run this hard drive in Safe Mode, and the diagnostic tools say they can't work in safe mode :thumbsup:

Edited by slyblackdragon, 12 March 2009 - 02:00 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

Safe mode requires booting into Windows.

The hard drive diagnostic...is not dependent on Windows in any way. It doesn't matter one bit what happens when you try to boot from your hard drive.

Your inability to boot from the hard drive...has no effect at all on the ability of the proper hard drive diagnostic to do what it does.

Louis

#15 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

O.K., well I got it to boot normally and I ran WD's Diagnostic program. Everything came back as "pass", so I guess it isn't that hard drive? What now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users