Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modest, stable AMD system?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 idiotboy

idiotboy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

I had a horrendous time last year trying to build a system with components that either were not suitable for one another or which failed shortly after purchase. After recovering *some* of the money for the faulty components and saving my pennies, I'm now in a position to try again.

I'm not a newcomer to system building, but my confidence has been shaken a little by this experience. In fact I would prefer to buy a Dell or some other pre-built PC but none meets my needs.

Basically what I need is a new home for my 2TB+ of files, with enough room for expansion to at least 4TB. I don't need to be able to play games, but I do want a reasonably powerful system which will last for at least 3 years before requiring upgrade or replacement.

COMPONENTS I ALREADY HAVE:
Monitor (DVI)
Speakers (2.0)
Keyboard (PS/2), mouse (USB)
Case (midi tower)
CD/DVD writer (SATA2)
3x 1TB SATA2 hard drives
2x 500MB IDE hard drives (I want to be able to replace these at some point with a 4th SATA2 drive)

COMPONENTS I'M CONSIDERING BUYING:
PSU: Corsair HX620W
Motherboard: MSI DKA790GX (onboard graphics & audio)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2X2GB KIT) DDR2 1066MHZ (might add another set of these after a year or 2 to have a total of 8GB)
CPU: AMD PhenomX4 9650 (boxed, includes heat sink & fan)

The combined cost of these components is around 400 (UK), but I would be prepared to spend a little more if necessary.

I'm not going to overclock or add multiple graphics cards or anything like that. What I want is a very stable, balanced system with minimal risk of failure. I don't want to have to worry about not having enough power for all my hard drives, or about my motherboard's mosfets getting fried by a power-hungry PSU.

Can anyone see potential problems with the above combination?

I want to get as many opinions as possible before making my purchases -- 400 is a lot of money for me and I've already wasted that much on this project. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. There are really only two things that can go wrong; the cpu does not fit the board, the ram does not fit the board. From what I can tell, the motherboard will accept the CPU (and a Phenom is a nice choice; you are using almost the same one as I am). Corsair is good RAM. I don't see anything wrong.

#3 idiotboy

idiotboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

Thanks. Anyone else agree/disagree?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Looks good to me :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:31 AM

looks good to me, personally I have had horrible luck with MSI motherboards, I would stick with a good gigabyte or ASUS motherboard, they have never done me wrong. I know some people who have good luck with MSI, even on this board, but only a few, I have seen so many MSI motherboards go bad its unbelievable. Thats just my opinion however. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 idiotboy

idiotboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

And I've had enough problems with Gigabyte to last me a lifetime :)

I would consider the Asus M3A78-T, which has virtually identical specs to the MSI board. My reason for tentatively choosing the MSI is that it seems to be the prefered choice of most people who post to the AMD forums, but if enough people here prefer the Asus they could change my mind.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

All motherboards are mass produced so quality varies even within a given model. I prefer ASRock, XFX, and Asus motherboards myself. Remember, you also need a 64-bit operating system in order to use 4GB or more of RAM.

3939.png

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Looks very good to me. You shouldn't have any problems, and is that AMD a black edition?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

And I've had enough problems with Gigabyte to last me a lifetime :thumbsup:

I would consider the Asus M3A78-T, which has virtually identical specs to the MSI board. My reason for tentatively choosing the MSI is that it seems to be the prefered choice of most people who post to the AMD forums, but if enough people here prefer the Asus they could change my mind.

everyone has different experiences, like ive said ive seen people who have had great luck with MSI boards and many who dont, I personally put gigabyte and biostar into all my boards and have never had any go bad on me, ever. But Ive seen a lot of excellent ASUS boards out there as well, and the one you picked is a board I would have no qualms over putting in a build myself. Whats most important to me in building a computer, whether one for me or for a customer, is whether the person whos gonna be using it the most whether its me or the customer, is gonna be happy with it. thats the most important thing. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users