Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get a stable connection to the Internet in normal mode, only in safe mode w/ networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mo_

Mo_

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

First, I have had SBC or AT&T internet for years now with only a few minor problems. About a year ago I purchased a Router for myself so I can have wireless for my PS3 and laptop that I used to have. There was only one problem between the two and that was a line problem where they came out and fixed it.

However, as of yesterday my internet connection wasn't being stable and it took many power cycles to stay stable in normal mode but my internet is stable in safe mode w/ networking.
Now today I can't even get a connection for more than 30 seconds in normal mode yet my connection is stable in safe mode.

Before the day it stopped I didn't install any new software or anything that I didn't have before so I don't think it could be software conflicting the internet from working but it could.

So I was wondering if someone can help me fix this problem.

If you need to know I have Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
If you need any more information I can get it for you.

Thanks,
Mo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hello there,

A.
safe mode is not loading some services and star up programs. Please go to Start/Run and type msconfig.

In the Service tab check the box "Hide all Microsoft Services", and you should be left just with non-microsoft services. Let me know what they are. I hope they are not many.

In the Systemstart tab take a look what programs are launching on start up, and see if there are some that should not be starting.

B.
Do a virus and anti-malware scans, just to be sure. In addition to your normal software that you use, you can go to Start/Run and type mrt. Follow the instractions.

C.
Finally, go to Star/Run and type cmd. Then in the new window that pops up, type netstat, while you are online. Keep doing that for while, in particular when your internet connection speed is at low. Take a look if you see your PC accessing any sites you do not recognize.

I hope that helps for a start.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#3 Mo_

Mo_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

I have a HJT log of normal and safe mode I can post if needed I also did an avira anti-virus scan which it got rid of the infections and windows malicious software removal tool found nothing and I will check out netstat now.

Edited by Mo_, 11 March 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#4 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

I have a HJT log of normal and safe mode I can post if needed I also did an avira anti-virus scan which it got rid of the infections and windows malicious software removal tool found nothing and I will check out netstat now.

Yes HJT log is a good way forward. But you need to post it in a different forum at bleepingcomputer..com that deals with HJT logs and infected computers. It seems that your infection (or part of it) did not affect safe mode. But it is still loading in normal mode. Take a look at msconfig, what services and start ups are loading, but to remove it, the forum that deals with infections and HJT logs should be consulted.

If we determine that this is not a network issue, but an infection (or traces of it), then the next step is indeed to post your HJT log in the other forum and get your PC fixed.

Edited by patbox, 11 March 2009 - 09:09 PM.

#5 Mo_

Mo_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

So you believe it is an infection I've tried diagnostic startup and it still didn't work also yesterday system restore allowed me to restore to the 8th before everything happened and today only then 10th showed up it didn't work anyways.

Not quite sure what to do next.

#6 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

Do nestat when the network is slow. And I believe it could be an infection, which means you post your HJT log.

#7 Mo_

Mo_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

where should I post this because I already have the logs

#8 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Go to Forums, and scroll down until you find a forum that says "post your HJT Logs here". The forum is fairly down on the list.

#9 Mo_

Mo_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

should I post and link them to here or explain the situation on that thread as well

#10 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

I would just desribe the problem real short, that your network is fast in the safe mode, while slow in the normal mode, and you had some infectinos, and would like them to check your HJT log for possible infections. HJT log is worth more than 1000 words. I would say no need to link.

But parallel, could you do the netstat command (as decribed above) when your network seems slow, so we can monitor if there is some spyware activity?

#11 Mo_

Mo_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

sorry I should update it is no longer not stable there is no connection at all and when I do netsat in safe mode everything is good and netstat normal nothing shows

#12 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

sorry I should update it is no longer not stable there is no connection at all and when I do netsat in safe mode everything is good and netstat normal nothing shows

All right, then I would say your PC does not work as normal, and it is fair to assume you have infection or post-infection situation.

#13 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

Broken adapter?
Your Windows should be updated to SP3 for starters.

If you think netstat tells things, you don't have to run it again and again.
Just type netstat -ano 3 > c:\ netstat.txt so it'll run for 3 minutes and write a log which might show good and then dropped connections.

I'd be looking at ipconfig /all in command window to see if you're losing the normal values such as your IP or the DHCP and DNS servers.
Are you using a firewall? Is it setup properly and permits all communication with the DHCP and DNS servers?
In safe mode firewalls don't run, so that could be a problem.

#14 Mo_

Mo_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

Broken adapter?
Your Windows should be updated to SP3 for starters.

If you think netstat tells things, you don't have to run it again and again.
Just type netstat -ano 3 > c:\ netstat.txt so it'll run for 3 minutes and write a log which might show good and then dropped connections.

I'd be looking at ipconfig /all in command window to see if you're losing the normal values such as your IP or the DHCP and DNS servers.
Are you using a firewall? Is it setup properly and permits all communication with the DHCP and DNS servers?
In safe mode firewalls don't run, so that could be a problem.

Could you tell me how to see if I'm losing normal values and no I am not using a firewall I even disabled windows firewall so not sure what the problem can be

Edited by Mo_, 12 March 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hello Mo_,

Now that you have a log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210734/only-have-internet-connection-in-safe-mode/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

If you are still experiencing this problem once you have been declared clean, send a PM to a moderator and request that this topic be reopened.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users