Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

passworg protect folders and drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 misconduct

misconduct

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hello.
over the last few days ive been doing alot of reading and communicating through this sight. THANK YOU!
Any way here it is.
I recently formatted my computer , reinstalled everything set up an av,anti spyware and firewall. It seems to be working really well but my girlfriend has a 13 year old who lets say is very curious I find him roaming around looking inn program folders to see whats there and im afraid hes going to adjust or modify certain things.
I spent alot of time on getting this system up and to peak performance and I DONT WANT ANYTHING COMPROMISED. How do I password protect certain folders and drives.

I started putting all the shortcuts on the desktop related to security in another drive. i would prefer if they didnt show anywhere on the computer except for a drive I can access exclusively with a password protection.
I tried to cut and paste program folders to another drrive and it worked but the original file remained in the program folders directory.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

FWIW: You cannot copy and paste program files to a different location.

When a program installs in Windows, it creates all sorts of entries. Some of these are in the registry, some of these are in file locations.

This is the only time and way in which these entries are created...unless the program is updated and some/all files/entries are replaced by later ones.

Sooo...if I have a program installed on my C: partition (which is where I install all of my programs) and I later decide that I want those programs on my G: partition (one of my large drives)...I have to uninstall that program (using Add/Remove Programs) and then reinstall it...taking care to change the file location (also known as the path) that I install it to.

I must distinctly elect to install it to another partition, since the C: partition is the one to which it will be installed otherwise (C: is the default location of many programs...because it's always been that way (back to the days when there was only 1 partition, 1 hard disk) and because some think that Windows functions best with the programs in their customary location.

As for denying access to the 13-year-old...difficult task, but I would simply make him a limited user on my system. In today's world...the youth know much more and are more comfortable with computers than those in my age group (62), so I think you have your work cut out trying to deny access to settings.

Louis

#3 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

Got it,well said.
thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic