Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

whats the difference between........

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manicd

manicd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

.....installed physical memory and total physical memory, as shown here;

Attached File  System_Information.jpg   170.29KB   26 downloads

Edited by manicd, 10 March 2009 - 12:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

I'm not quite sure, but am willing to hazard a guess.

You have 4 gB of memory sticks in the system.
2.93 gB is what's available for you to use (the other 1.07 being taken up by hardware resources that you can't utilize).
1.74 is what's left for you to use (so, 1.19 gB is being used by Vista)

The 2.93 gB is in the range (2.6 to 3.6) of what can be used on a 32 bit (x86) system.

Edited by usasma, 10 March 2009 - 01:34 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

To use that extra "1.07GB" 1 of RAM, you need 64 bit Vista.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 manicd

manicd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

To use that extra "1.07GB" 1 of RAM, you need 64 bit Vista.

Really???!!!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

Here's the official explanation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us
http://blogs.msdn.com/dcook/archive/2007/0...-my-memory.aspx

Depending on the system, Windows will see between (approximately) 2.6 to 3.6 gB of RAM on a 4 gB system. With Vista SP1 the number in the System dialog has been updated to reflect installed RAM (rather than accessible RAM) - so, if you've got 4 gB, you'll see 4 gB.

But as the explanations above state, there is some overhead that takes up this RAM. The switch to 64 bit will enable you to use all of it, but writeups that I've seen say that there's no practical advantage to having either 32 or 64 bit with 4 gB of RAM. You will notice a difference with 8 gB of RAM tho'

FWIW - I've had 4, 8, and 12 gB of RAM with Vista and find that there's no appreciable difference in performance over 4 gB (for the uses that I put it to). You may notice a benefit if you constantly run apps that normally consume boatloads of memory. What benefit I get from it is the ability to leave lot's and lot's of stuff open, and still be able to function quickly (I can play video games without closing any of the multitude of applications that are open on my Desktop.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users