Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop problem/ Moved

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluelock

bluelock

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

Okay ever time i turn on my computer and log in to a user name the computer stops then i have to use ctrl alt del and file run explore.exe to get to my desktop to show up

Edited out incomplete HiJack This log that was edited in while I was posting. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 March 2009 - 10:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluelock

bluelock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

i ran comboFix and now i can't connect to the internet i tried ping a connection and all packets where lost

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

If this was done recently try doing a System Restore. Choose a date prior to your problem

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

You have just experienced why we suggest that Combofix not be used without the guidance of one of our trained HJT team members.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Hello bluelock and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I have merged your topics from the Windows XP forum and the Web-browsing forum and am shifting the merged topic to the Am I Infected forum as the issues you describe are all a result of the infection/infections you have and the fact that you ran Combofix. Please keep all responses regarding this issue to this topic by using the Add Reply button at the bottom of the topic. Posting more than one topic on the same issue confuses things for everyone and can make the disinfection process more difficult.

If you have not run System Restore already, please do not do so. System Restore cannot undo everything that Combofix does. There are other methods of undoing those changes, and you will be advised of those if it becomes necessary.

Please note that ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.

. . . CF does make some alterations to your system if you run it. Even if you had no malware removed and run the uninstall command, some things may be different now on your system. I can tell you that one thing is that all your restore points will be flushed out and a new one created. There is a good reason to do that when you have a severe infection--but if you aren't infected you might need those restore points.

Read and abide by the disclaimer people. It's there for a reason. Stick to running and protecting yourself with a good AV and firewall and an anti-malware scanner or two. If you feel you need a second opinion, try running online scans. If you feel you might need surgery, come here to BC and ask for help--that is what we're here for.

From: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1159014

That said, we need some additional information in order to assist you.

What issues were you experiencing that you decided to run Combofix? Pop-ups, redirections etc. Please be as specific as possible.

What issues are you still experiencing?

What security programs do you have installed?

Please do not post logs unless one is specifically requested. ~ OB

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 March 2009 - 10:48 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 bluelock

bluelock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

Okay first thing was it had tons of pops up. I was searching though some the forms and saw someone with the same problem as me having to use ctrl alt del to open the explorer so i followed the insturctions that someone else had did to fix there problem but it didnt fix anything. i dont currenly have a virus scanner installed on the computer it a Windows Xp service pack 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users