Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk cleanup & registry mechanic have NEVER worked

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

I have never been able to run disk cleanup or registry mechanic on puter, they start and that is all. Last night I tried to run disk cleanup with puter in safe mode and left it over night, this morning it had not completed. When I initially start it, it shows 3 little blocks of progress and that is as far as it ever gets. Registry mechanic opens, but never starts it just sits there. Any ideas on how to get these 2 run. Defrag works, there is about 72% free space on puter.Help ?!?
THANKS in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

I don't recomend running a registry cleaner, most people here won't. But, you can go HERE for Window$ one care. It can run 3 things to help your computer. If your disk clean up is stopping while going through the "compressing old files" part, HERE is a link to a fix from Microsoft.

Hope this helps... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

I had the problem with disk cleanup until I installed XP sp2. After that it worked fine.

What is registry mechanic??? Never heard of it.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

It is a "registry optimizer", also know as a registry cleaner. The problem with a application like this is that if they are used improperly they can cause damage to the registry which could result in making the computer inoperable.

The fallowing is an excerpt from this article.

Hi Mark, do you really think that Registry junk left by uninstalled programs could severely slow down the computer? I would like to 'hear' your opinion.

Mark's reply:

No, even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches.

On Win2K Terminal Server systems, however, there is a limit on the total amount of Registry data that can be loaded and so large profile hives can limit the number of users that can be logged on simultaneously.

I haven't and never will implement a Registry cleaner since it's of little practical use on anything other than Win2K terminal servers and developing one that's both safe and effective requires a huge amount of application-specific knowledge

Here at BC we have the same opinion of registry cleaners and don't endorse the use of them.

Edited by dc3, 10 March 2009 - 09:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

It is called Registry Mechanic, whether it is actually "registry optimizer" or not i have no idea.
I know it will run on a second puter in the house, it lists all the problems it finds, but now that i think about it from all the help and suggestions yall have given it finds and supposedly fixes the same problems everytime. So I guess it never has actually fixed anything ,just found them.
Is this something I can uninstall and delete from the puter(s) ?
I also have a program named AVAST & I also use Spybot S & D, do I even need these now that I have downloaded and used the Malwarebytes program ???

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

You can delete Registry Mechanic, it isn't a part of Windows. The Avast is your anti virus, you want to have that. There is now single application out there that will take care of all the different types of infections, so you need to have several different types to be safe. I didn't see any mention of a firewall, you should have a firewall as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

Uninstall and Delete is the proper way to rid a puter of a program , correct?
I dont know how to turn my firewall on. I had a firewall several years ago on an old puter, which I turned on when a friend suggested it, and it would not let me into sites that I frequent. Game sites like yahoo and pogo. I never had any problems with anything from pogo, without the firewall, yahoo I do have problems with whether I have the firewall turned on or not.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

FWIW: I've used Registry Mechanic (and any number of other "registry cleaners" back when they all first appeared on the scene...for users frustrated with quirks shown by Win 95 and Win 98.

Neither does anything of any substance...and the user is totally ignorant of what changes are taking place and why. Nothing to be gained from using such, other than any number of unknown problems that will turn up subsequent to use.

Before any user decides that the registry needs a "cleaning"...it might be wise to understand what the registry is and how it already has its own tool for removing, repairing, etc.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

You should be able to uninstall the registry mechanic in the Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Go to Start> Control Panel> Add and Remove.

For a firewall, I use Ashampoo free firewall, it works well and is easy to use.

http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/p...ct_2_0050__.htm

#10 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

I downloaded and installed ASHAMPOO free version as suggested. Followed the prompts for setting it up etc....it asked if i wanted to allow access to my various programs, i allowed access to ALL of the ybrowser requests because it is my main browser ( AT&T/YBROWSER), when it was finished i proceeded to open my browser as usual and it was closed out and denied. I doubled checked myself to be sure i didnt deny access to each part of the browser and i didnt deny anything for it, i allowed all for my I.E. browser as i use that as my secondary , it also was closed out and denied access, the only thing i denied access to was my "weather channel" it takes too long to load upon startup/reboot. it is not connected or in association with either of my browsers tho. i had to go to control panel and uninstall and delete all the properties of ashampoo in order get my browsers to work.

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:47 AM

HERE is a thread that has a huge list of free programs among them are some free firewalls. I use ZoneAlarm Free, it does cause problems on some computers but I've had no trouble with it. Another popular one is Comodo.

But I recommend having a firewall. Any firewall you install will need to go through a "learning" process asking you whether or not you want to allow programs to access the internet... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

Have you run any scans for infections?

Try a few of these online scans.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
http://onlinescan.avast.com/
http://ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

#13 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:50 AM

I have avast and have run it, I have spybot s & d, ran it and malwarebytes anti-malware and have run that as well. None of these programs found any problems of any kind, I'm clean and clear. The download for the ashampoo was from "cnet" , I have ALWAYS had probs with downloads from there, when I had my 1st puter and also with this 1,but I gave it a shot and had probs.
I would like to lessen the amount of items that want to load upon start up. I've looked everywhere I can think of but havent found where i can choose what to load and not load upon start up. As they say,, its always in the last place u look. So where is the last place i need to look?
I want 2 THANK EVERY1 for all the help given 2 me, I greatly appreciate all the advise and help,every1 has been GREAT! THANXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

Do you have all the latest XP updates installed?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users