Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem shutting down XP after malware removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fushion3

fushion3

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

I was referred to this forum after extensive help on "Am I infected ...". My problem is when shutting down Windows XP by clicking START, click SHUT DOWN, the mouse pointer changes to an hour glass and time will pass (several minutes) and then without warning or prompting my PC shuts down. What was normal before the infection removal process, was START, SHUT DOWN, text box with;cancel, restart, shut down and after choosing shut down a blue windows screen comes up with message stating Windows is shutting down and then it turned off PC all in about a minute or so. I have tried looking into the Registry, but that advice lead me to KEYS I didn't have. Any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

It's possible a driver could have gotten corrupted from the malware removal
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 fushion3

fushion3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

I have tried a couple of way to shut my PC down and timed the operation to help narrow down the malfunction area I hope. If shutting down in normal mode: START, SHUT DOWN (happens right away), but the mouse pionter then turns to an hour glass for 150 seconds and then the text box with (restart, shut down, cancel) comes up, click on SHUT DOWN, takes 9 seconds to get to blue screen with windows is shutting down on it and that takes another 125 seconds to shut down PC. If in SAFE mode, the START, SHUT DOWN, shut down, windows is shutting down, windows is saving settings happens in 6 seconds and PC shuts down. Hope these timing sequences help...

#4 fushion3

fushion3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

I would think with the amount of experience on the is forum someone could shed some light on my situation given the timing sequence I mentioned in the above post.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

The different times mean absolutely nothing. Everyone's will be different depending on the programs installed and what's running in the backround at shut down
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users