Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard features not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mc2009

mc2009

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

I have an enhanced multimedia PS/2 keyboard. I recently had a virus that has prevented some of the keyboard's features from working. I could press the volume buttons and a green volume indicator bar would come up on screen. The sound works, but the bar won't come up. When I press the mute button, the word mute doesn't come up on screen anymore. When I press the eject button, the CD drive doesn't open. I uninstalled and reinstalled the keyboard, hoping that might solve the problem. I even tried disconnecting it for a few seconds. Neither worked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnytechie

johnytechie

• Banned
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

try to scan your compter by using any good antivirus . they might creates the problem after the scanning uninstall the keyboard driver and restart the computer , after that try to reinstall the keyboard driver. hope it works

Edited to remove reference to a commercial site. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 March 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#3 mc2009

mc2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

The virus is already gone, but I'm still having these problems.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:50 AM

Did the keyboard come with a disk with the drivers for the special key functions, if it did then I would uninstall the drivers and reinstall them from the disk.

Do you see any errors (red X) or warnings (yellow exclamation mark) in the Device Magager?

In the Device Manager scroll down to the Keyboard, click on the X in the box to the left to expand the tree, double click on the keyboard and see what the show under Device Status.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mc2009

mc2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

I honestly don't know if it came with a disk or not. There are no errors or warnings. In device status, they say it's working properly.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

Could you please post the make and model of this keyboard?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mc2009

mc2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

HP Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 keyboard 1.0.2.6

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

Here you go:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...797&lang=en
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 mc2009

mc2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

The update worked. Everything is working again. Thanks to everyone for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users