Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restart after shut down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lolog88

lolog88

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:15 AM

Hello. i just bought a new computer.heheh.my problem is every time i shut down my computer, after few second my computer will automatically
turn on or restart.Can some plzz tell me how to fix this problem.Sorry for my bad english.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

Are you sure you are clicking on the shut down option rather than the restart option?

What operating system are you running?

If there is a problem with the operating system this can cause it to restart, try disabling the automatic restart, if there is a problem with the operating system a error message will appear rather than restarting.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced.

Under Startup and Recovery click on Settings, under System Failure remove the check in the box for Automatically Restart.

Edited by dc3, 10 March 2009 - 07:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:19 AM

You should shut down Windows XP from StartMenu -> Shutdown -> Turn Off /Shutdown

Some new computers have powerup event options in the BIOS : like on mouse click or pressing any key on keyboard. The computer will turn on on these events even if you have shut it down.

Edited by Romeo29, 10 March 2009 - 07:21 AM.

#4 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

before followiung any steps check this step out.

Do as the first few posts suggested and turn off auto restart on system crash.

this will probebly give you a BSOD when shutting down isntead of it restarting, dont be startled as this is the main issue we have.

get the STOP CODE

(0x****************************)

Or just copy the whole bottom line of the BSOD>

then type the STOPCODE 0x0********
into google and it will give you sum results about this crash. also at the top it might say which issue it has, possible a
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Is common. but tell us the STOP CODE and the BSOD message on the second row down. this will help to solve the issue. but for now. as it restarts. go into safemode and try shutting down then. this could be a advanced driver crashing.

if it still restarts. we have a problem, but also if you have a year warrenty, TAKE IT BACK. say it WONT shut down.

If it will shut down there. it is probebly a keyboard or USB device.

Check, ---

Remove all USB devices in normal windows then shutdown with the mouse plugged in. and then one at a time try pluggin gthem back in, with my computer a USB router connection causes mine to restart on shutdown.

hope i've helped.

It is most likely either, BSOD due to Hardware Driver issue which can be solved.
Confliction
USB Device (most likely, Router, printer (still turned on) keyboard and mouse.)

also, if it is a USB device. try unpluggin it before shutting down or reinstalling the driver, if its a printer, turn the printer off before shutting down as you should anyhow to save electric.

but if its a BSOD, tell us it and we can identify it.

:thumbsup: thanks for reading!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users