Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help transferring data

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 irish38

irish38

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

I hope this is in the right section. My laptop that has Windows XP on it died. HP is going to fix it, but they told me the computer will be wiped clean and reset to factory settings. My question is, if I take out my hard drives and put them in an external holder, so I can transfer everything to a flash drive, can I use a computer with Vista to do this? In order to avoid a $200 charge from a computer company in town, I am going to do it myself. I don't have any problems doing that, I've done it before, just not with 2 different OS. I don't want my files scrambled or anything because I am using a computer with Vista to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

If you're simply transferring files (documents, images, music, etc) then that is all you need to do. Take your old drive and put it in an external case. You mentioned something about using a flash drive. If you have your drive in an external case, what do you need the flash drive for. Just make sure you get an external case with a USB connector so you can hook it right to your laptop. Copy what you need off the drive then erase it so you can use it to back up your important, don't-want-to-lose-this-stuff data off your laptop and keep it separate so you don't have to go thru this again.
I've never had problems moving data from xp to vista.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 irish38

irish38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for your reply but that isn't what I am trying to do.

Here is what I am needing to do:
1. Remove hard drive from laptop with XP OS.
2. Put them in a case with a usb port.
3. Hook them up to a computer with VISTA OS.
4. Transfer all my files to a flash drive.
5. Put hard drives back in laptop and send to HP for repair.

Is it possible to do this with the 2 different OS?

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

Sorry about my confusion. I read the original post wrong.

Sure, if you get a flash drive big enough. Lots of pics, videos, and music can build to over 50GB in no time. If you're sure you have a big enough flash drive, there shouldn't be any problem with it. If you really want to be careful about it, try a test run and move some data over to the flash drive via the Vista machine. Then, use a friend's XP machine to be sure you can read it before sending the laptop to HP.
I've never come across any issue or even heard of any issue that would cause any problems with the data using Vista to move XP files.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 irish38

irish38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

I don't know of anyone who has a computer with XP that can let me do this. I have a flash drive with 32 gb and it will be big enough. I am only wanting photos and some files off the hard drives. Everything else can be replaced.

Thanks for your help!!

#6 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

Absolutely. If all you're moving off the drive is photos and such, you can definitely do that using a Vista machine and then move them back to your XP machine once you get it back from HP

#7 irish38

irish38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

OK, thanks!! I appreciate your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users