Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage and a few general problems.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joseph3443

joseph3443

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hey, i've been having alot of problems with my computer lately, its a HP pavilion 06. It has never had any problems untill recently. I normally dont download alot of stuff, and when i do, I make sure its virus free. About 2 weeks ago, I got a virus, and within 5 minutes i got it off my computer, but it already did alot of damage. I did 4 system restores, but it still isnt back to normal.

Sometimes svchost.exe will cap my cpu usage at 100% and lock up my computer. And if i end the task, it will turn my audio for my computer, besides the programs that are already running. and sometimes winlogon.exe will go to 50% cpu usage and lag my computer, hard core. And if none of that happens, the cpu usage will just spike every 20 seconds or so, between 15-40% when no other programs are running. here is a list of the active programs
Posted Image

I have installed the patch that is sapost to fix the svchost.exe error... but it didnt work, and i've been all over the web looking for a solution. but it seems i have 3 problems in 1. I know its not a virus, and i know its not a registry error. It would be great to have any help at all, i'm just starting to get frustrated... thank you, honestly, for even reading this. I'm just in need of a little help.

PS, i can post HiJack This log if you want me to. any help would be GREATLY appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

May I ask:

How much RAM does your HP have? What processor does it have? I do not believe this is a Malware/Virus issue, but more of a Physical issue.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 joseph3443

joseph3443
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image
there you go. i hope that helps... i have about 1 gig of RAM and I only use 1/3rd of my hard drive space

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Your core speed in incredibly slow. It's @ 1GHZ. I think you might be having some hardcore Core issues... The next time you see either of those processes kill your CPU speed, see what your running. I know you said it is random, but take a few looks. It may help us figure out EXACTLY whats wrong.

#5 joseph3443

joseph3443
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

so... you just think i need to upgrade my core speed? the winlongon.exe thing happens while i'm running a game that takes about half of my cpu usage, but did didnt do that befor i had to use system restore. but the svchost.exe thing happens when just aim is running... but i will try and pay even closer attention now. thank you so much.

Edited by joseph3443, 09 March 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

Well, then your game might be consuming alot of your core speed. 2GHZ usually is sufficient-- may I ask- what game are you playing? If you don't want to say-- just search up the requirements for the game.

#7 joseph3443

joseph3443
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

Final Fantasy XI. its a 7 year old game. it needs 256M ram and a pentium 4(as the recomended) processor.

And it just had the svchost.exe error while i was watching a video =/

#8 twit2

twit2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Boy, do I ever sympathize with you because I'm having the same svchost problems you appear to be having. I've been using the program ProcessExplorer to watch it on this computer. You can Google it if you're interested

Anyway, on my machine as I just sit and watch the monitor without touching ANYTHING, my idle time will go from 100% to 0% as a NEW svchost jumps into existence and proceeds to gobble up 100% of the CPU time.

I've tried turning off Windows services and am down to a bare bones few that "appear" to be active with none of the rest resident in RAM.

My problem is the sevice that appears in the svchost that gobbles all the CPU will sometimes be different from the one that seems to appear the most often (WinImage). I have at least got this machine Internetting again, but haven't solved it's loss of its audio device. I think my problem is corrupted XP system files but need some confirmation and how-to fix-it solutions.

Anyway, good luck -- I hope the gurus here help you fix the real problem soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users