Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After clean install,nuisance program keeps popping up!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

My computer has had a few trojans and malware that I have removed with the help of this awesome web site.(Bleeping Computer)
Even though I was clean,It just didn't seem right. So I decided to do a clean install,and start from scratch.
Everything is nice and new. I got rid of all the junk I have accumulated over the last couple years!

The only problem I have is a program that keeps popping up (hpqwrg.exe). The purpose of this program is to register, or (Sign Up) your computer with HP, So I can get driver updates and all that jazz.
I have already completed this when I first bought the computer, But I went ahead and signed up again.
I cant figure out how to stop this program from running. It is a nuisance, always showing a popup message when I am watching a movie.

I even checked the (don't show this message again) box several times to no avail!
I thought about deleting the exe program,but I don't want an error message showing up because it can't find the file.

I am asking if anyone has any Ideas on how to make this go away.
Thank you! In advance.
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Check your MSCONFIG (START>RUN>MSCONFIG) under the startup tab. If you see this file opening with your computer, just uncheck it from starting up. Reboot and try it out.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

It is not listed in msconfig\startup. I'm really not sure what is executing it.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

I use Zonealarm firewall and it lets me keep a program from running at all just by changing its permissions to "kill" in the program control panel. If you have that program you could use it to disable the program from popping up. Other firewalls might have same feature. I had to do that with Adobe updater and it has worked great.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

A useful tool for controlling startups (use the Logon tab only), AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

FWIW: MSCONFIG is designed to be a diagnostic tool, not a program for controlling/monitoring startup items.

Louis

#6 Wingman

Wingman

• Malware Response Team
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

Have you seen this in Task Manager? What impact is there if you were to stop this process, in Task Manager?
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpqWRG.exe is where the file is located.
Look like there is a registry entry in the Local Machine hive... that has a run entry for this program... that's where it get executed from.

Please don't get in the habit of using MSCONFIG to try to control your startup programs. MSCONFIG should be used as a troubleshooting method for problems when you start the computer, not to control programs you want or don't want to execute.

Free utility programs to manage existing Startup entries.
These utilities allow the user to either allow or disallow program from executing, already in various startup locations
Basic utilities:
WinPatrol ...BillP Studiosl
Startup Inspector for Windows
Mike Lin's - Startup Control Panel
More comprehensive utilities:
Starter by CodeStuff
Autoruns
AnVir Task Manager Free

Free utilities to monitor additions to Startup entries
These utilities allow users to decide if entries should be placed in the registry Startup location, before it is done.
Startup Monitor
Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

#7 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

In response to hamluis, I am currently using autoruns to control my startup apps. I feel really dumb right now!..
I should have figured this out on my own.
But, I was also "fishing" for info. I wanted to know if this was a common problem,and not just exclusive to my machine.
Thank you all for your input!!!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

Sooooo...situation solved :thumbsup:?

Louis

#9 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

I figured out why it was running. Somehow it was scheduled to run in my task scheduler. I think It was there because I checked the" remind me in a couple days" box to get rid of it.
Now it makes perfect sense. Thanks guys!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

Good job, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users