Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help re-loading Win XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Micallen

Micallen

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

I had issues, so I bought and formatted a new HD. I'm trying to load WIN XP Pro (not an upgrade CD). It won't boot from the CD. I even bought an new CD drive - but that didn't fix it. I get the "NTLDR is missing" error. I tried creating the 6-disk startup disk set and booting that way. After the format process finishes, it moves to the next step in the installation, then tells me I have a bad or corrupt set-up file. THis is such a pain. (I don't even have a floppy drive on my main computer. I have to take the flopppy drive out of the computer I'm trying to load Windows in, and put it in my main computer to make a boot disk.)

Why can't I boot from my Win XP Pro CD? And if that's not going to be an option, what's the best way to get it going? I've loaded the same Win XP disk on this computer before. :thumbsup:

Micallen

Micallen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

Hello, did you set your boot from setting to your CD ROM in your BIOS?

-swaMprUnner :thumbsup: -
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

#3 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hello, did you set your boot from setting to your CD ROM in your BIOS?

-swaMprUnner :thumbsup: -

Yes. When I was trying to boot from the CD I set the CD to the first bootable.

Micallen

#4 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:40 AM

bump

Micallen

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Is this a genuine Microsoft XP Pro CD, with valid license/key?

Have you tried copying the CD and using the copy (CD may have a flaw) for the install?

Louis

#6 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

Have you tried copying the CD and using the copy (CD may have a flaw) for the install?

Louis

Sorry, I meant to put all the info in - was too sleepy I guess. It's a home-built with an AMD 2000XP cpu (apx 1.33 GHz). It is a genuine XP Pro CD with a valid license key. But, no. I haven't thought of copying the CD. Good Idea. Will try that tonight and see what happens.

Micallen

#7 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

i know this is probebly irrevlevent but is USB legacy support turned on for you to hit the any key, also, try copying the windws disk to another and trying that way.

if that fails. use the new ways of using a USB key with winXP on by downloading free sofrtware to extract from you're copy and then set your bios to run from the usb key, but you must have the key inserted into the pc before going into bios (also hardware installed) for the option to appear.

#8 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:45 AM

Louis

Sorry, I meant to put all the info in - was too sleepy I guess. It's a home-built with an AMD 2000XP cpu (apx 1.33 GHz). It is a genuine XP Pro CD with a valid license key. But, no. I haven't thought of copying the CD. Good Idea. Will try that tonight and see what happens.

I made a copy and it still does the same thing. I CD drive spins up, I see the lights flickering, then it moves on to the HD (which of course fails).

Today I brought the HD and the Win CD to work to put it in my work computer to try to load it here. That's not working. I'm thinking because I have to plug the HD in secondary to the CDROM. The other (main) HD in this computer is SATA. So, all it does is tell me the version already installed (on the work HD) is newer than the one I'm trying to install. It does not show the other HD and ask me which I want to install Windows on.

Any more suggestions. I'm getting close to buying a new motherboard and CPU - but didn't want to go to that expense. The old setup was working fine - till it crashed.

Micallen

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Well...attempting to install it on a different system...will present problems of its own, if you subsequently try to move the drive to your system.

Move Harddrive to a New Windows XP System - http://www.theeldergeek.com/move_harddrive.htm

Moving XP to new MB or Computer - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

I don't advise doing that, unless you do it strictly as a means of verifying that the hard drive functions properly and that the CD itself can be read on a different system.

You can use a system with SATA for such test...but you need to first change the BIOS boot order so that the system would not boot from the hard drive/operating system already installed. System must be temporarily configured to boot from the optical drive, for purpose of the test.

If you have one of those systems with only 1 IDE connection, supporting 2 devices (as I do)...I also suggest making the hard drive the device on the end connector, with the optical drive on the middle connector. And I would further suggest verifying that the jumper settings for both devices are compatible...both must be Cable Select or both must be set using the Master (end) and Slave (middle) jumper settings.

Louis

#10 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Well...attempting to install it on a different system...will present problems of its own, if you subsequently try to move the drive to your system.

Move Harddrive to a New Windows XP System - http://www.theeldergeek.com/move_harddrive.htm

Moving XP to new MB or Computer - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

I don't advise doing that, unless you do it strictly as a means of verifying that the hard drive functions properly and that the CD itself can be read on a different system.

You can use a system with SATA for such test...but you need to first change the BIOS boot order so that the system would not boot from the hard drive/operating system already installed. System must be temporarily configured to boot from the optical drive, for purpose of the test.

If you have one of those systems with only 1 IDE connection, supporting 2 devices (as I do)...I also suggest making the hard drive the device on the end connector, with the optical drive on the middle connector. And I would further suggest verifying that the jumper settings for both devices are compatible...both must be Cable Select or both must be set using the Master (end) and Slave (middle) jumper settings.

Louis

OUCH. I was minutes away from doing this. I see that would have been a lost cause. I think the problems is that it's an OEM CD. Maybe it's not bootable after all. I must have had WinME on that computer before and upgraded it to WIN XP. I will keep trying. Maybe I'll load ME again first then try XP.

Thanks.

Micallen

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

I have OEM (Microsoft OEM) install CDs...I have no 3d-party OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) install CDs.

When I do an install, I just ensure that the two drives which an OEM install would expect to see (1 hard drive, 1 optical drive) are the only ones which are fully attached/connected.

Not sure this would complicate any install, but I see no point in adding in factors that might have some bearing on what should be expected.

Louis

#12 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

I have OEM (Microsoft OEM) install CDs...I have no 3d-party OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) install CDs.

When I do an install, I just ensure that the two drives which an OEM install would expect to see (1 hard drive, 1 optical drive) are the only ones which are fully attached/connected.

Not sure this would complicate any install, but I see no point in adding in factors that might have some bearing on what should be expected.

Louis

Mine is also a Microsoft OEM CD.

I went ahead and loaded Win ME. Then I was able to load the Win XP Pro. I still do not know why it was like this... but at least it's loaded now.

Micallen

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

Well, glad you solved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#14 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

Well, glad you solved it...happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

Thanks for your insight. If not for you, the path I was following would have led me to buying a new MB and CPU - which from what I've read now, likely would not have worked. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Micallen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users