Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to set a password for internet access on an XP Home pc?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RTW DC2

RTW DC2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

Basically what I want to do is deny internet access for users on this XP Home PC.

I need them to be able use other functions of the PC like printing and Word processing, etc. Since this is XP Home I know certain features like Local and Group policy editors are not available. Ideally I would like to have an entirely separate user account on this machine, and just deny internet access while the "Admin" account does have internet access. However because this is XP Home I do not think that is possible.

The other option I came across was the Internet Options security settings for Internet Zone. You have an option in there to require an username and password for authentication, but that doesnt seem to be working even though I have the option checked. When I open IE it does not prompt for a username or password.

Im not sure if there are any other ways to accomplish this so any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:26 AM

Doing GP in home is a pain as you usually have to edit the registry, an easy way round it is if you have a modem/router that you get on the internet with you can change the password on the router so no one else can log into it and delete the password in the router and only put it back in when you want to use it. (or hide the router, but that takes physical effort)

#3 RTW DC2

RTW DC2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

there is a wireless netgear router in place but Im not sure which password you are referring to. the only passwords Im familiar with on the router are the wireless password (WEP key) and the password for the admin to log into the router. are you saying there is a general password for internet access in there somewhere that will prompt users to enter before letting them online?

#4 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

Yes there is a pasword that if wrong, will stop internet access. With netgear wireless routers they are usually in basic settings just under your username (email address). If you know what your internet password is you can can then change it so its worng and no more internet access. Then you change the admin password on the router so only you can get onto it and you're done.

#5 RTW DC2

RTW DC2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

i logged into the router but only see an option for Admin and User passwords. From what I can tell there isnt a setting for an internet password. it looks like the User password is just so "users" can log into the router with "read only" access. i sent a msg to netgear to see what they say but i havent heard back yet.

#6 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

what model is it, (dg843g etc) ill try to find a screnshot for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users