Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it ok to delete EISA Configuration partition?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 annon

annon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

is it ok?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

Probably not. Most likely it contains either boot information or recovery information for your system.
Should you decide to delete it anyway, be sure to have your data backed up and your restore disks handy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 annon

annon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Vista Home and my laptop model is Acer Aspire 5920G.

I have already perform factory default backup of my Acer laptop using Acer eRecovery which supposedly return my OS to the point when I first bought it. Is that enough?

The reason I need to delete the EISA partition is that it uses up two of my partitions as primary partitions leaving me no extra primary partition left to install a Linux. The other two are C: and D: which are both NTFS primary partitions and both are about 2/3 full.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

The EISA partition shouldn't be all that big, so formatting it may not give you enough space anyway.
The backup disks should enable you to restore the computer - but do you know that the disks are good? I've had experiences where I've made backups and they couldn't be restored. The only sure way to know this is to actually do a restore with them.

Also, disks can deteriorate over time - so in the future they may not be usable. In that case you'll have to contact Acer for a replacement set (I don't know how much they cost).

Finally, I don't know the exact contents of the EISA partition - so deleting it could cause the system not to boot to Windows. Then you'll have to repair it using the restore disks anyway.

As I recall, the D: partition is for storing data. As such, your easiest option would be to transfer the stuff off of the D: drive onto an external drive. That way you can use the free space in the D: drive (and won't have to take the chance of borking the boot up process).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 annon

annon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

I think I'm going to try and delete them and see what happens.

Anyway, many thanks for your support:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users