Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSXML Vulnerability Is Driving Me Mad!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

Ok well I have Windows XP media center edition SP3, and MSXML 4.0 SP 2 both KB936181 and KB954430.
I guess one of the "KB's" is a fix and the other is the core service one?

The thing that is driving me mad is I have a dangerous vulnerability in MSXML in
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.MSXML2_6bd6b9abf345378f_4.20.9848.0_x-ww_1b897e9a
and
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.MSXML2_6bd6b9abf345378f_4.20.9818.0_x-ww_8ff50c5d
If I shouldn't be posting these locations let me know so I can delete them^

I tried to fix these with the links that Kaspersky provides http://www.viruslist.com/en/advisories/23655 but I can't figure out what to do and the things I've tried didn't do any good. Also the tech guys at Kaspersky didn't help much either, they just kept saying that if I upgraded my macromedia flash then this would fix it?! I don't see what macromedia flash has to do with fixing these and as far as I can tell it's up tp date anyways.

Should I just upgrade to the latest version of MSXML instead? If so how do I do that (and I mean you need to tell me every single step by step on how to do it properly) like what to uninstall and how, what to download and how, how to install etc...

Yes I am a noob and not afraid to admit it when it comes to computers ;-P
So If there's anyone out there who could help me resolve this once and for all I would be internally greatfull

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

if you open internet explorer you can then just click on tools and then windows update, and following htose prompts will usually get the required security patches on,
also go to
http://www.adobe.com
click on get adobe flash player (on right hand side of screen)
then take the tick box out of install google toolbar
then click agree and install now (further down the screen) and follow the prompts

#3 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

if you open internet explorer you can then just click on tools and then windows update, and following htose prompts will usually get the required security patches on,
also go to
http://www.adobe.com
click on get adobe flash player (on right hand side of screen)
then take the tick box out of install google toolbar
then click agree and install now (further down the screen) and follow the prompts

Well I did all that stuff and there still showing up so the updates didn't make any difference.
Any other suggestions from anyone?

Thanks

#4 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Cleick on the link
then click download
then click save
then choose save to the desktop, when its saved click run or of the download iwndows closes double click the WindowsXP-KB954459-x86-ENU.exe which is now on your desktop and follow the prompts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users