Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lime wire

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Greetings Ghost Board!

My OS is 98se. I have Dial up, thatís right, 56k! My computer is an APTIVA IBM, its white, I type with one finger and the biggest sin I have ever committed is downloading lime wire! LOL Well, ok, thatís a lie but just follow along with the bouncing ball here alright, Iím whining! LOL But seriously, Lime wire is really where all my nightmares begin!

Lime wire! They say that the devil himself won't even down load it because of all the viruses you can get from it, but I did! Now I belong to the underworld of the sleepless dead who's only reason for living is to work on and repair my computer to keep it running! My OS is riddled with holes of missing files and error messages that seem to blink out to me in secret code the words -
YOU IDIOT!

The viruses have long been dealt with but the damage from weeks of constant battle has drained my resolve and with no original installation CD my prospects for a full recovery looks grim.

Tonight my challenge is to try and fully reinstall my ISP.
I use peoplpc, so I called them up. They said my problem wasn't with them; it was with my internet service provider. I thought they were my internet service provider! If their not then who is? I only know that I have to reinstall peoplepc every time I go to get on the internet. Peoplepc never fully installs, but at least it installs enough to log on so I can get on the internet. While I'm installing it I get 10 or 12 Dial-up boxes that pop up on me. I have to x them out as fast as they pop up or they will stop my installation. When I get on the internet I bring up my task master. I always find two dialers in it. If I delete one of them, (the right one) my computer runs faster. If I delete the wrong one I loose my connection and have to start over. I get error messages that say my DIALER EXE. has encountered a problem and is trying to split. Plus, if any where along the way I encounter a problem of some kind, (my fault, your fault, no bodies fault) I loose my internet connection and have to restart my computer and start the process all over again. Alright, let me make this simple.

1) I need to know how to stop these dial-up boxes from popping up.
2) Figure out how to get peoplepc to fully install without any dialer splitting problems. Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

my challenge is to try and fully reinstall my ISP. I use peoplpc, so I called them up. They said my problem wasn't with them; it was with my internet service provider. I thought they were my internet service provider!

PeoplePC Online, an EarthLink company (NASDAQ: ELNK), is a leading provider of high-quality, value-priced Internet service through its PeoplePC Online brand. PeoplePC is committed to making it easy and affordable for consumers to get online. The PeoplePC platform ensures quality connections and fewer busy signals through the use of proprietary Smart Dialer technology.

http://www.peoplepc.com/about_us/index.asp

I don't think much of PeoplePC and if this were my system, I would switch to another ISP, especially with the run around you are getting in regards to installing their software. Call them back and ask to speak to a supervisor. If they will not assist, then I would tell them to cancel the account as you are going elsewhere.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

yeah, i'm starting to see what you mean!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users