Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extreme File Sharing Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

I've had a cascade of screwups today, leaving me with a file I cannot delete. While downloading a torrent on a public access computer and browsing in Firefox, something killed my mouse cursor and I lost control of the machine. (Probably something from a website.) This left my torrent program inaccessible (minimized to the icon tray), and I had to wait as long as possible & hope it finished before I was logged off. I couldn't renew my usage timer because those dialogs don't respond to the keyboard. As the countdown timer was ticking I started a copy to hopefully get as much of the file as was done, and because the file was 'locked' the copy failed the first time (I had pressed Control-X instead of Control-C). Trying again, I got the copy started but my session timed out before the file was fully copied and my processes were killed. But the USB drive kept flickering for a while and when it stopped I took it home and found I had the file (or so it seemed). Actually, the file had been zapped in mid copy & most of it was garbage. But I found this out AFTER I had copied it to my hard drive and started my torrent program. Now, I've tried to delete it and it won't delete. Windows thinks a program is using it. Well, there isn't any program using it. The torrent program has been shut down. I presume this is some bit that got set while it was on the public access computer and cannot be manually unset? Is there some administrative utility to clear this bit or do I have to boot in safe mode to delete this file? I can just reformat the USB drive to get rid of it, but I can't reformat the disk, it's full of gigabytes of my data.

Edited by Alchemist, 09 March 2009 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

I would try deleting it in Safe Mode.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users