Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing internet provider question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dragon18007

dragon18007

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hi

I've been looking at different internet providers, im currently on 2mb and that has been fine but I thought I would change since ive been with AOL for YEARS!

I checked Broadband.co.uk and they said Be Broadband was best for my area and I would get up to 6MB for my area but im a bit confused with the different packages -

one has a 12 month contract package for up to 8MB and the other up to 24mb, no contract and 1 static IP......

I know there is no point in the second one but what does it mean 1 static IP??

JJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:26 AM

At the risk of sounding like I'm ducking your question, I would suggest that you direct these questions to the sales person at the ISP. I suggest this because I suspect that you are going to find that there are other questions that you will want answers to.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:13 AM

Hi

Normally when you log into your ISP either by dial-up or with an ADSL or Cable router, the ISP will allocate a random IP address out of a pool of addresses via its DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server. When the connection is dropped (as in dial-up) the same IP address that was held by you goes back into the pool and can be allocated to someone else. In the case of a router, it will hold the address until it is reset.
A static IP address is one that your ISP will allocate to you and this address will not change. The address will remain exclusively yours for the length of the contract. Static IP addresses tend to be expensive and are usually only used for commercial purposes. For normal day-to-day use, dynamic IP addressing is the norm rather than the exception. :thumbsup:
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users