Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I canít install SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services - Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BobLewiston

BobLewiston

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

I installed SQL Server 2008 Express, basic edition (SQLEXPR32_x86_ENU_Bootstrapper.exe, version 9.0.30729.1) without any problem.

Then I attempted to install AdventureWorks Sample Databases for SQL Server 2008 (SQL2008.AdventureWorks_All_Databases.x86.msi). This attempt failed because SQL Server 2008 Express, basic edition doesnít support Full-text Search, which AdventureWorks requires.

So I uninstalled SQL Server 2008 Express, basic edition and attempted to install SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services (SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe,version 10.00.1600.22), which does support Full-text Search. This attempt failed because the installer demands an account number and password, which I donít have.

Bear in mind, all Express versions of SQL Server are free from Microsoft, and I obtained my copy directly from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download).

Moreover, although during the course of the installation a Product Key window appears, in which a user might have under different circumstances be intended to enter a registration key, in this version of the software this is clearly not intended. I say this because not only is the radio button labeled ďSpecify a free editionĒ selected (with the associated drop-down menu showing ďExpress with Advanced ServicesĒ), and the other associated radio button labeled ďEnter the product keyĒ is left unselected, but also this entire group of WinForm controls is rendered inactive.

Incidentally, I also tried to add Full-text Search capability to my original installation of SQL Server 2008 Express, basic edition via itís Configuration Manager, but the Manager showed (wrongly) that this capability was already installed and was unable to implement this capability.

So: what do I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BobLewiston

BobLewiston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

I tried SQL Server 2008 Enterprise 180-day evaluation version - same result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users