Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer crashing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wayne_uk

wayne_uk

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hi Guys
I'm having a few problems with my computer crashing, I have retrieved the following reports from the event viewer, dont know if this will help, if someone could tell me in easy laguage what the reports mean i'll have a go at rectifying them, many thanks

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\KAREN-2B940CF26 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F2962740-4584-460F-90CB-5B1345777744}. The data is the error code.

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F2962740-4584-460F-90CB-5B1345777744}. The backup browser is stopping.

The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address -------. The machine with the IP address ------- did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine

The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser. The computer that currently believes it is the master browser is KAREN-2B940CF26.

Edited by The weatherman, 09 March 2009 - 05:23 PM.
Removed IP address~Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

Each of those messages...is harmless, IMO...but I had no impacts (crashes) accompanying my Event Viewer messages.

Browser service issues on a network are routine (in my experience) because the Master browser is determined by which system is booted first and makes online connectivity.

I disregard all of those and just try to turn the same system on first each day.

The workgroup name thing...needs to be checked out. All systems on the network must have the same workgroup name. Although I've had issues with using the default workgroup name with differing combinations, it's been more of an admin matter than anything.

Louis

#3 wayne_uk

wayne_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for your reply Louis, looks like i will start by removing programmes one at a time and see if i can find the fault, luckily it is a new computer and not a lot on it at the moment,
wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users