Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Center tells me that "McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise reports that it is turned off."

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nickdanger

nickdanger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hi, I have three systems and recently all of them are now reporting through Security Center that "McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise reports that it is turned off." They are all running XP professional SP3 with all the latest updates as of 3/7/09 and the McAfee Enterprise 8.5 anti virus software. the Buffer overflow protection , on-delivery and on-access scanners in the console are all enabled and a manual launch of the scan works fine. is something turned off that would cause the security center to report this? all of this happened after automatic updates both to the OS and the regular daily McAfee update I can't say which if either of these updates caused the problem. I cannot get the Security center to recognize that McAfee is on and active even though it appears to be via the console. am I missing something? is the virus scan engine really off or is security center reporting false? if so can it be forced to see that Virusscan is on? has this happened to anyone else recently? (like after an update). any help resolving this mystery would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Security Center tells me my ZoneAlarm antivirus/firewall is off too. Since I know that is incorrect I just set it up to where I will monitor the aintivirus/firewall program so that it won't give me the alerts. At one time it did monitor it correctly and I am not sure when it stopped. I think it was when I upgraded my version of Zone Alarm but cannot be sure. It says somewhere in the Security Center that it cannot monitor all antivirus/firewall programs.

#3 -KiKi-

-KiKi-

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi, I have three systems and recently all of them are now reporting through Security Center that "McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise reports that it is turned off." They are all running XP professional SP3 with all the latest updates as of 3/7/09 and the McAfee Enterprise 8.5 anti virus software. the Buffer overflow protection , on-delivery and on-access scanners in the console are all enabled and a manual launch of the scan works fine. is something turned off that would cause the security center to report this? all of this happened after automatic updates both to the OS and the regular daily McAfee update I can't say which if either of these updates caused the problem. I cannot get the Security center to recognize that McAfee is on and active even though it appears to be via the console. am I missing something? is the virus scan engine really off or is security center reporting false? if so can it be forced to see that Virusscan is on? has this happened to anyone else recently? (like after an update). any help resolving this mystery would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

I also use McAfee Enterprise 8.5. The only thing I leave enabled is the On-Access Scanner. I leave the Access Protection, Buffer Overflow Protection and On-Delivery disabled. I'm not sure if that is what's causing the problem you are having, but I have never had them all enabled. I just keep the On-Access Scanner enabled, and that's it.

I once had the same problem that you were having, and I ended up finding out what was causing it. My computer had some type of malware infection that kept making the Security Center report that my McAfee wasn't turned on. This occurred before I was introduced to MBAM and SAS.

Do you use MBAM or SAS?

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Windows Security Center does not recognize all antivirus and firewall programs. That's true.
But McAfee and ZoneAlarm should be recognized. As are many others.
WSC filekeeping just gets corrupted every now and then.
Here is one solution
http://inverity.org/articles/fixsecuritycenter.htm

And a simpler one, avoiding all the stopping of services can be done in safe mode, since the services don't run. Only step 3 required.

Edited by tos226, 10 March 2009 - 09:50 PM.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Thank you tos226,

My problem with Sec. Center does appear to be WMI related so that article you posted should apply to my problem. The reason I say it is related to WMI is in Event Viewer, this is the message I get on the Sec. Center error.....

The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

I have already made a copy of the folder and have a current system restore point, but am still nervous about doing this. Is there any chance that doing what that article says to do can casue me any problems whatsoever?

I plan to do what you mentioned and do it safe mode which means I will only have to delete the Repository folder, is that correct?

Also, if I monitor my av\fw daily, is it really even necessary to fix this problem with the Windows Security Center? I had figured it wasn't so I hadn't even bothered with looking for a fix for it, but it is good to know what caused it to stop working and to have an option for fixing it.

Thanks for the info and your help

Edited by Stang777, 10 March 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

According to the properties, WSC service depends on WMI service running.
So if you get an error that it can't monitor, perhaps WMI is off, and it should be running. Or its database is broken. Check things out later, after fixing, with both services running. After you make it work correctly, the you can disable security center if you wish.

To tell you the truth, I've shut off Security center, because it annoys me most of the time :thumbsup:

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

Thank you for the info tos226

My WMI must have a broken database because it is running. I have yet to try to repair it but probably will try the fix you posted when I have a little more time to deal with it.

Thank you again for your help

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

The info in that link worked for me tos226, thanks.

I did have to do all the steps though and had to do it through a diff account than the one I usually use.

When I tired to delete the folder in safe mode it would not work, said the folder was in use, so I loaded windows normally and turned off all those services and tried it again, but even in safe mode it would not let me delete the folder, even though my account is set to admin.

I signed on in safe mode to the only other account on the computer, the admin one setup by windows at install, and it then let me delete that file. Safe mode is the only time the other account shows up. After that I rebooted the computer back into my usual account and reenabled those services and after a few minutes the folder remade itself just like that article said it would and the Security Center now correctly reflects my av\fw.

Thanks for giving me the info to get things working the way they should be

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for reporting back!
ADMINISTRATOR - yes, yes, I had to do that too now that you reminded me.
I'm glad you got it fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users