Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing ATA drive w/SATA drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Indy452

Indy452

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

Does my motherboard and bios support replacing the ATA hard drive with an SATA hard drive? (IBM M50 8189 2.8Ghz pentium 4)

I can see that the power supply has the SATA connects and there are two SATA cord connects on the motherboard. Does this mean I can ditch the ATA hard drive and just add a nice big SATA hard drive? I'm hoping so, but I want to check with others who are more experienced than me

Thank You!!

Neal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

The BIOS should have the option to boot from either IDE or SATA as well as USB and CD-Rom.

You should even be able to "Ghost" the IDE to the SATA disk, making the new disk the system disk.

I did notice that it ony supports 150GB SATA and not the later 3.0GB. Possibly flashing the BIOS might give you that option.

Good luck.

DR

#3 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

The BIOS should have the option to boot from either IDE or SATA as well as USB and CD-Rom.

You should even be able to "Ghost" the IDE to the SATA disk, making the new disk the system disk.

I did notice that it ony supports 150GB SATA and not the later 3.0GB. Possibly flashing the BIOS might give you that option.

Good luck.

DR

Could I bother you to tell me where you are able to find the info on this computer?

So a 150 GB would be the max? Thats really not worth it then. I want to run at least a 250gb drive. I guess I don't see why it would matter what the drive volume would be.

Neal

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

Oh boy, I'm sorry I didn't mean 150GB but 1.5GB. :thumbsup: That is the transfer rate of the hard drive, not the capacity. You could go larger as long as you format as NTFS file system and not FAT32.

Here is a link to the Lenovo site where you can complete the info needed to be able to see the manual and parts for your machine.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...p;validate=true

OK, good luck.

DR

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

Replacing the ATA drive with a SATA drive you will need the SATA drivers for your system unless the bios is set to IDE emulation. Windows won't recognize the drive without the drivers installed or IDE emulation turned on. IF the computer does not support IDE emulation ghosting your current drive to the new one may not work since you need to install the SATA/raid drivers during windows Setup so that the computer loads the drivers before loading windows. There may be a work around but I am unfamilar with one at this time.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users