Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Evil Winlogon window and W32 issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 benvol10

benvol10

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

Hi there,

As expected when posting in this section I am having serious issues with my PC. On Thursday afternoon, the full on virus activities occured. Free AVG virus software informed me that it had discovered dropper.delf and resolved the problem. It did mention several cookie type items too but did not say that they were threats.

The only obvious thing I may have clicked on was an HP update on screen to update my HP psc printer. Don't get me wrong, I have downloaded the occasional items from rapidshare but am generally wary of the word "free". No such thing as a free lunch, etc.

Unfortunately, Thursday evening saw my PC (Windows XP SP2 by the way) deteriorate. CTRL-ALT-DEL would not bring up task manager and gradually things ground to a halt. The beginning of the worst was to come. After rebooting I was faced with a Windows logon screen which seemed most odd since as the only user of this PC I have never bothered with logging in and generally bypass this feature and just go straight to my desktop. Unfortunately, I clicked on OK and now wish that I never had.

The computer developed from bad to worse leading eventually to normal mode in windows hanging repeatedly. After shutting down windows by switching off the PC. I then booted into safe mode when prompted - guess what that little Windows login was still there and after clicking safe mode started becoming less and less useful.

Wary of such problems I store our work related files in a D: partition. I scanned the D drive with AVG and made sure the files were safe (bad idea most likely) and then reinstalled windows XP in the C drive after formatting first.

Booted up my new installation (internet disconnected all the while) and that little winlogon window is still there. reinstalled a few basics and free AVG. had to connect to web for AVG to update. Once upated AVG flicked up two files W32.heur (or similar) and asked what I wanted to do. removed them as a power user and then two more appeared. i tried to remove these and was told that some infections could not be healed since they were no longer there.

Computer degenerated again until normal mode hung. Bootrd into safe mode with networking(little winlogon window still there) and decided to sack AVG. Researched the web and ran Malwarebyte's Anti - Malware. ran it. it did pick up items and presumably resolve them.

But net result was back to square one. reinstalled windows whilst not connected to web. ran free Norton Scan and Fix. this picked out threats and kind of fixed some. have been running Malwarebyte's program alongside this. Still no good though. If i reboot the little darn Logon window is still there and the first thing I do after a reinstall is change the user settings so that there is no welcome screen. Again windows was under attack and came to a halt.

More web research into Winlogon.exe led me to download openprocess and freecommander to assist me (i didn't manage to find any untoward DLL files or Malware simply 'cos I had no real idea what i was looking for exactly. Next I tried Norton Antivirus 2009. This found 1732 threats. When it first installed it took three attempts since I presume it ran into problems uninstalled and then tried again. To it's credit it does seem to be holding up it has detected and removed a fair few rogue files today including the latest attempt to add to my misery (W32.Virut.CF) many attempts have been thwarted since 17:45 today.

Here's the rub. Thank you Norton for the best software so far. Trouble is despire my protection when i reboot that evil Winlogon window is going to be there. Surely there must be away to get rid of this thing. i appreciate that viruses disable processes like taskmanager - for example my print spooling services are disabled, which is very annoying since I need to print invoices for tomorrow. Have tried reinstalling print software with no joy.

So, I have computer problems. I trust that from the story so far you technical folk will be able to assess my thin knowledge of computing. The question I ask is can you help me please. Any advice is greatly received and appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 benvol10

benvol10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Also please forgive if all of the information is not in the correct order - this has been a long journey for me (my head is still spinning with information) and I suspect that we're nowhere near journey's end yet.

Thanks & regards,
Ben

#3 benvol10

benvol10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

have treid reinstalling printer but to no avail. After rebooting DEP closes down the spooler. Does this mean I need a new printer too??

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users