Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using System Restore - restoring personal files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 annestarkle

annestarkle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

I used System restore when prompted to and now my machine is running again. But... all my personal files are gone (images, word docs, spread sheets, etc). Is there any way to retrieve these?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

Please specify...are you talking about Windows System Restore function...or are you talking about some recovery/restore provision built into the system you purchased?

Some posters use the terms as if they are interchangeable...they are not and they are totally different in effect on a system.

System model and manufacturer...would help to clarifiy what transpired and how.

Louis

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

Did you use disks or a "System Restore" from Start--> Programs ---> Accessories---> System Tools ---> System Restore?

If you used disks, then all of your hard drive got repartitioned/reformated. This means all the information that was on the hard drive got deleted. Your computer would be "brand" new.

If you use "System Restore" your personal files should be there. From the sound of things, this may look like a Disk Reformat, since all of your person items are gone.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 annestarkle

annestarkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

I used the system restore function from the computer, not from disks.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

That is odd, the Windows System Restore ususally does not do anything with personal files. It should have left all .jpeg, .doc, .txt, and similar type files, in tact

#6 annestarkle

annestarkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

They're all gone. My internet settings, e-mail settings, and folders I created, docs, images, etc. All programs installed at home are there. But data is gone. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users