Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avira-0 virus found, bit def 1 virus found

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 misconduct

misconduct

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

hello all,
Ive been doing alot of reading the last couple days and I have a few questions. I recently decided to try different anti-virus programs out there and noticed that some act differently than others.

- kaspersky , personally had a difficult time with it, worked good for a few days but then keyboard wouldnt work,computer freezing, explorer shut down.
- avira - problems updating

Here are my questions
- I scanned with avira and showed no infections
- removed avira, installed bitdefender
- scanned with bitdefender,immediately after avira and found 1 virus
----- WHY?-------

2. is windows firewall good enough with an antivirus program or should i use a different firewall?

3. is comodo a firewall and antivirus protection in one which would act the same as any antivirus program with windows firewall.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hello misconduct,
In regards to your experience with AV's: There is no such thing as the perfect program. New forms of malware are constantly being created. No one AV will detect all the malware all the time. This is why you should use a multi-layered approach to security.
Concerning the Windows Firewall, I feel it is inadequate. XP's Firewall only offered inbound protection. Vista does offer a version of outbound protection, but it is difficult to set-up. There are much better freeware firewalls.
Comodo offers an AV/Firewall combo or just a Firewall.

Perhaps this will help:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Free Antivirus Programs
*You should only use one antivirus program

AVAST
AVG
AVIRA

Hope this helps.

Here is a tutorial on Avira: http://baygeeks.com/Bay%20Geeks%20Avira%20Tutorial.pdf

Free Antispyware Programs

SUPERAntispyware Free Edition
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Spyware Terminator
*Provides Real-time protection. During download, you will first be prompted to download Web Security Guard Toolbar.This program is similar to McAfee Site Advisor. You can bypass the Web Security Guard by scrolling down to the Free Antispyware protection section.
*During Setup, you will again be prompted to download Web Security Guard. Be sure to uncheck it if you do not want it.
Spyware Blaster
*Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
*Click Here to view the spywareblaster tutorial.

Free FireWalls
*You should only use one firewall
*Click Here to view tutorial on Firewalls.
Comodo Firewall
*Comes bundled with Comodo Antivirus->when prompted to not download Antivirus if you already have an Antivirus program.

Zone Alarm

Tutorial can be found here: http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/zone-...wall-vista.html

PC Tools Firewall Plus

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

Hi misconduct,

Also, Bit Defender may be flagging something that could be a potential threat instead of an actual threat or virus. Could you post back the exact name of the file that was found and what name Bit Defender gave it please?

You should also be aware that the free version of Bit Defender does not offer real time/on access protection, which is the main reason to have an antivirus installed. It is designed to clean up after an infection has occurred instead of preventing infections. You can do that with some online scanners.

As far as firewalls, Windows firewall is better than no firewall--and I've heard the one in Vista is pretty good. Keep it on when you are in between trying out a third party firewall.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

thanks ccrn396, the tutorials you provided were helpful. I defineatly have a better understanding of the processes of protection.
If bitdefender free doesnt offer real time on access whats the point? could you suggest one that does. Im trying to keep this as simple and effective as possible.
is it worth using comodo firewall and antivirus on top of malwarebytes, or should i use comodo firewall with another antivirus and malawarebytes.
is comodo real time

#5 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hello misconduct.

If bitdefender free doesnt offer real time on access whats the point? could you suggest one that does.

All the free antiviruses mentioned in ccrn396's post include realtime protection.

MalwareBytes is a removal program, distinct from firewalls and antiviruses.

1 antivirus, and 1 firewall, plus 1 or more scanning programs like MalwareByte is good. There are non antivirus programs that include realtime protection as well.

With Regards,
The Panda

#6 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

hey panda
any problems with this as a defence system

-avast av
-comodo firewall only
- malaware bytes

does malaware run independently or do you have to perform scan manually, or is this simply a tool you run after your av catches something

#7 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hello.

It must be run manually.

Running it regularly won't hurt.

You may consider adding another antispyware program, though that is optional.

With Regards,
The Panda

#8 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

thanks.
Im a firm believer in the KISS theory.
do you mean running another program with malawarebytes or without and any suggestions on one to run

#9 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hello Misconduct,

do you mean running another program with malawarebytes or without and any suggestions on one to run

SUPERAntispyware would compliment malwarebytes nicely. Periodically scan your system with an AVP and these two antispyware programs. You can download SUPERAntispyware from the link at the bottom of this post. You should also consider using Spywareblaster. See my previous post to you for the tutorial and download.

Good Luck

#10 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

hey everybody.
thank you very much. the tutorials and advice given were excellent. i am very pleased with the results. Thank you so very much. I will continue searching this site and hope to one day offer my advice to those in need.
thanks again i really appreciate your time and effort.

fyi
the system i decided to go with is as follows
avira av
comodo firewall
malawarebytes
superantispyware.

i tried a bunch of different programs and found the above to be the most user friendly.personal opinion though.
cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users