Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Available Wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mclghln

mclghln

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot a network problem. I am able to connect to the Internet through our wireless Internet connection but unable to view any wireless networks. How is this possible?

Marie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hi,

More than likely your router will be set to "Don't Broadcast SSID" This means that the router cannot be seen when searching for Wireless Networks, unless you need to see it i would leave it this way.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by E-Mu, 09 March 2009 - 02:25 PM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hi,

More than likely your router will be set to "Don't Broadcast SSID" This means that the router cannot be seen when searching for Wireless Networks, unless you need to see it i would leave it this way.

Edit: Grammar

@E-Mu: 1) My router is set to broadcast SSID, but I would like to set to "Don't Broadcast" to improve my security. Are there any downsides of doing so? (I can see only benefits). 2) If your SSID is not broadcast, does changing the SSID name every month (or every half a year) increase the security of my network? (kind of works same way as changing password).
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

I'm not E-Mu.
My experience is that SSID was only needed when I was setting up the network, WPA key etc.
It's shut off all the time. Somehow computers, which I allowed by MAC filtering, seem to see the the wireless and do get connected.

Changing SSID might make sense. I don't know. Let E-Mu help :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 11 March 2009 - 07:22 PM.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

@E-Mu: 1) My router is set to broadcast SSID, but I would like to set to "Don't Broadcast" to improve my security. Are there any downsides of doing so? (I can see only benefits). 2) If your SSID is not broadcast, does changing the SSID name every month (or every half a year) increase the security of my network? (kind of works same way as changing password).

There are no downside to not broadcasting your SSID, in fact it's more beneficial. If someone can't see your wireless connection how are they going to be able to hack/use it.

If your not broadcasting your SSID i see no reason to change it at all, unless you have a skilled hacker living near by who is adamant at using your connection when there are probably 3 or 4 other connections in the area that are easier to use. :thumbsup: :flowers:

I have my SSID hidden and have only changed it once when i had some connection issues, same with my WPA Key.
Tho of course I'm not saying you can't if you want to but i wouldn't advise anyone it had to be done.

As tos226 say's, the SSID is only needed to set-up the connection.
~ E-Mu ~

#6 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

Yes, but now my SSID is broadcast, so everybody knows it. So I was thinking if I hide, still the folks will know my SSID. So in general terms, before hiding it, I should change it? Would that make more sense?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

Hide in then change it, if you change it first then theres still a chance someone might spot it :thumbsup:
~ E-Mu ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users