Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Usage maxizes out when I lauch any application

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 helpmefightthemoff

helpmefightthemoff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

About 6 weeks ago I got a real nasty intruder called Trojan.Agent or some version there of...anyway I ran numerous spyware removers including

Spyware Doctor, Spybot, Vundofix, Virtumundobegone, fixvundo, and a few others. Finally I was able to get rid of the Trojan Virus (i.e. it does not show up anymore when I run any of the antispyware programs) but now every time I launch an application my cpu usage spikes. I am concerned I did not get rid of the virus or whatever I had and that it is recording everything I do. Since I do a lot of online banking etc.. I have quit using my previously infected computer and now use my laptop which is connected wirelessly. Anyway I want to eliminate the cpu usage maxing out all the time and make sure once and for all I do not have any trojan or other nastys running behind the scenes on my computer. Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

Please do not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues. I removed your other topic for this reason.

Are you finding any suspicious processes in Task Manager? When you experience or encounter strange behavior, always check for new, unknown or suspicious processes that may be running on your system.

Most of the processes in Task Manager will be legitimate as shown in these links.Anytime you come across a suspicious file or one that you do not recognize, search the name using Google or the following databases:Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. Another techinique is for the process to alter the registry and add itself as a Startup program so that it can run automatically each time the computer is booted. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

Tools to investigate running processes and gather additional information to identify them and resolve problems:These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
-- Then post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 helpmefightthemoff

helpmefightthemoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

Sorry I am brand new to this forum and just figuring out how to post things etc. I will be more careful moving forward. The files look legit but I am totally not sure if the all are or not. I am sure a lot of them are not needed and just hogging memory. The one that seems to be taking the most memory is TeaTimer.exe.

Also when I right click on a process file in task manager it does not show an option for properties. I can type in all the processes and search my hard drive for the locations if necessary. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

Also when I right click on a process file in task manager it does not show an
option for properties.

Download and use some of the tools (like Process Explorer) I recommended for investigating.

The one that seems to be taking the most memory is TeaTimer.exe.

The Resident TeaTimer is a tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future. You can set TeaTimer to:

be informed, when the process tries to start again
automatically kill the process
or generally allow the process to run

There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either Allow or Deny the change.

The TeaTimer is always running in the background.

Spybot FAQ: What is TeaTimer

How to Enable/Disable TeaTimer

#5 helpmefightthemoff

helpmefightthemoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Thanks I down loaded process explorer and everything looks fne. Not sure what the problem is any other suggestions as to why my cpu usage spike whenver I launch a program. the slow speed is really starting to drive me a bit nuts. thanks!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

There is no "one size fits all fix". You need to keep monitoring the process and identify which one is utilizing high cpu.

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

Tea Timer is a great feature, however, it does use up a lot of resources and usually does slow down the system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users