Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

Can anyone give me a valid reason for having system restore turned on for data partitions?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

Since System Restore doesn't affect personal files I don't see any reason to back up data partitions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

I couldn't turn it off for data partitions and leave it on for system
Chewy

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

Click on the 'open System Protection. In the new window you will see a list with all your partitions and when was the most recent restore point created. Each partition on which System Restore is enabled has a box checked on its left. To disable System Restore on any of the selected partitions you need to uncheck those boxes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

I found it, thanks, I was missing the radio button in the setting for individual partitions.
Chewy

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

Your welcome.

#7 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

I normaly turn system restore off on data partitions and minimize the system restore on my winxp partition to 1GB insted of the Max value (4GB me thinks)

Tbh i only used system restore like 3 times in my career as a PC tech, it must say something about system restore :D
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

The maximum size of the restore file is 12% of the hdd space.

As for its usefulness, it gets used here quite a bit with good resurlts.

#9 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

Are we talking about the System Restore option in the System Properties menu? And if so, I'm guessing I should only back up C:\, as my other data (music, movies, pictures, programs, etc.) are on other partitions or drives. This would cut down on SR-used space, wouldn't it?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

I'm not sure that there really is any advantage to this, as I posted earlier system restore doesn't effect personal files, this includes photos, email, and documents. So if you have a separate partition from the operating system or another hdd without a operating system then I would think that you shouldn't have to worry about it being included in the restore file. You can adjust the size of the file though. Go to Start, right click on My computer and choose Properties and click on System Restore. You can set it in percentages from 0 to 12%.

#11 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

On average (if it is possible for you to estimate), how much does one SR point take up on the hdd? If I chose 0%, how many would fit in there? I rarely backup manually because I don't change much on my computer (maybe add or remove programs, that's about it).

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

If you go use the instructions that I posted just before your last post the page that opens will have a display with 0% at one end and the maximum amount at the other, if you slid the set point you can see the amounts of where ever it is set.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Newer nasty malware has completely wiped the floor with system restore, some infections turn it off, others wipe out the clean ones and just back themselve up.

Your mileage may vary
Chewy

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

Malware wiping out the System Restore points is the main reason I keep a copy of a recent restore point in a seperate file. I swap it out with a fresh copy about once a week.

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

On average (if it is possible for you to estimate), how much does one SR point take up on the hdd? If I chose 0%, how many would fit in there? I rarely backup manually because I don't change much on my computer (maybe add or remove programs, that's about it).

On my system the average size of one restore point is 500 meg. It seems like a setting of 0% would not allow for any space to be used so you would end up without any restore points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users