Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website width on the screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rraa

Rraa

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

Hello guys. My website, www.bobergsiamese.co.uk, is coming together at last and I have just published it (although there is still a bit of work to do to complete one of the pages). My question is, when I built it at home - viewing on my 19" widescreen monitor it looked fine. However, I have heard from one person that they cannot see the whole width of the page on their screen and need to scrollbar from side to side. Is there a way of making the size fit the screen of the viewer automactically?

I am not building it by writing html but a wysiwyg application called Web Page Maker. It may be possible to insert the correct script in if I know what html code to add to make this happen. Anyone got any cool suggestions please?

Thanks for your time in looking and also, in case anyone writes back.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

Yes. You don't set a fixed size for the width of your elements. Use percentages. Almost all of your elements have something like this:
<div id="text2" style="position:absolute; overflow:hidden; left:250px; top:244px; width:496px; height:734px; z-index:1">

To make a web page scalable, you have to do something like:
width:30%;
When you do that, then you will have to position your elements relative to each other, and absolute positioning will no longer work. When you design a web page, you have to design for the lowest common denominator, which may be a 15" monitor running at 800x600 resolution.

#3 Rraa

Rraa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

Thanks Groovicus. So, if I understood you correctly, I need to replace the part of code that starts "width ...." and substitute those exact figures (whatever they are) with a percentage ratio which will be the ratio of each element's column width to the viewer's screen. eg it may be 30%, say, if there are three columns (as it seems to be with my current website layout). Is that correct?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

Yes. As I soaid though, since you are using absolute positioning for your elements, it may screw those up also.

#5 Rraa

Rraa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:34 AM

Would the issue be obviated by having wide left and right margins or should I just use percentage proportions for the size of all elements?

Edited by Rraa, 11 March 2009 - 04:36 AM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

You could do it that way too.

#7 Rraa

Rraa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Groovicus - you've been very helpful. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

When you design a web page, you have to design for the lowest common denominator, which may be a 15" monitor running at 800x600 resolution.

I may be wrong sir, But lots of corporate websites I open on my old P3 800x600, they dont fit on its screen width. So possibly they are ditching old 800x600 standard? Please advise.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

Advise what? You should design for the lowest common denominator, make is scalable, or risk alienating users when they have to scroll sideways? Regardless of what you find to be happening more and more, that is still a solid design principle. :thumbsup:

#10 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

Personally I would choose to make the site scaleable..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users