Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PHYSICALDRIVEO trying to access hard drive directly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

Hi,

I just installed Avira and I ran a scan in safe mode and everything was fine, but when I tried to do a scan in normal mode my firewall came up with the following warning.

avscan.exe wants to access hard drive directly using device "\??\PHYSICALDRIVEO"

(Because of the way it was written I do not know if the final character was the numeral "0" or the capital letter "O").

Under "where the program is located" it said C:\program files\avira\antivir personal edition classic

The firewall "onlinearmor" said this is unusual and dangerous.

I googled physicaldriveO and it seems to be related to some kind of rootkit.

MBAM runs fine and does not detect anything, in either safe or normal mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:56 AM

Don't worry, turns out it's OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users