Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow start up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonesnewton

jonesnewton

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:06 AM

Hi,
I have just had XP installed onto a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop and now its taking ages to start up? I have not installed anything to load at start up.
It is an old machine, only 124MB Ram, 850 MHz..Processor is an Intel Celleron.
I have to use this machine for now as mine died :thumbsup:

Is there any software out there that can help with this?
Or can you suggest something I might have done wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:59 AM

Hi jonesnewton, and welcome to BleepingCompter.

Microsoft states that the minimum amount of RAM is 128MB, but most everyone soon found that you need 512MB to get it going properly, and there are those that say that you should have 1GB of RAM. In short, you need more RAM.

Edited by dc3, 09 March 2009 - 04:00 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

I ran XP SP2 on a toshiba notebook with only 64 MB (absolute minimum required to install xp). You can gain some speed by disabling all windows xp effects (right click on my computer, choose properties, tab advanced, visual settings, check best performance).
If you know what you are doing you can increase the size of your virtual memory (same tab), this worked for me, but I understand that it is not always the cause.
You should not use the welcome screen, use classic start menu, set no desktop background.

Further you can change the prefetch values in the registry (again, if you know what you are doing), so it prefetches only system drivers and no applications (I thought 3 is default value and this one is 2, but don't know for sure).

RAM recovery software doesn't do the trick, I tried several, but it is after all a hardware problem. A new memory module is real cheap these days and it might be worth it.

Good luck!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

A suggestion has been made that involves modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous (and can render your system unbootable) so it's advisable that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

I still think the best solution to this is to add more RAM. Without adding more RAM any changes will only have a minimal effect on its performance.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users