Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To SP2 or not ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SunnyTX

SunnyTX

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:00 PM

I have winXP. Don't have SP2 yet. I thought I read somewhere that once you do the update, it slows your PC and that SP2 was a speed hog. is that true ? Should I or shouldn't I get SP2 ?

(mod edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 08 June 2005 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

SP2 is not a speed hog by itself. However, I always recommend that a PC running SP2 should have a minimum of 512 megs of RAM. I've seen it run on 128, but the page file is used a lot and that slows the computer down. Using memory is much faster than paging.

The biggest issue with SP2 is making sure that your computer is clean of spyware. That can screw up an install. If it's a brand-name computer like Dell or Compaq, you might check their sites to see if they have a checklist of things to do before upgrading. But usually, it's not a real problem. In all the machines I've upgraded, I only had to roll back one to clean it better and then the install worked fine.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

By not downloading SP2 you are like a reckless driver speeding through heavy traffic on bald tires.

SP2 is primarily a security upgrade, designed to tighten the security on your computer so the miserable, criminal miscreants writing malicious code will have a tougher time turning your computer into a zombie or stealing information from it. (Like your ID and banking records)

The problems resulting from the SP2 installation are due to non-compliant third party code, most of which has been updated by the various hardware and software providers whose programs caused the malfunctions errantly attributed to Microsoft for the most part.

Microsoft knowledgebase:

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

If you update programs/drivers which have known issues before you download SP2 you are not likely to experience problems, but by not downloading SP2 and all other Microsoft Critical Updates and therefore opting out of even being able to get future Microsoft updates (because now that you missed the deadline the only way for you to even be able to get any future updates is by making your Microsoft updates automatic) that makes you recklessly complicit in the spread of viruses and malware across the internet.

#4 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:03 PM

OK I know for a fact that I have viruses as caught by AVG and McAfee and it's a trojan. It keeps coming back after AV program cleans it. Also have spywares. So I am thinking of reformating before SP2 install. Is it a good idea ? I have a dell PC and I have 512 RAM. Where can I find step by step instructions to do reformatting ? I don't have anything on this PC that I am afraid of losing. Hence the reformating idea.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

If you don't have anything you cannot stand to loose, reformatting and a clean, fresh install is the way to go.

By the way, not having SP2 in a timely fashion may be part of the cause of your computer becoming so infected.

#6 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

Thanks. Where can I find step by step instructions for clean install ?

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

Denny Denham, one of the premier contributors at the Dell Community Forums, has some good info here.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:37 AM

This site has been posted before and looks very useful, the link is for XP Home install:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/...ldhdd/index.htm

Edited by Rimmer, 09 June 2005 - 02:38 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:04 AM

I think Enthusiast said it best. I had to do an SP2 update on all the PCs in our office, and we have seen no slowdowns at all. We have actually gained productivity on our systems due to them being more stable than before SP2. I think SP2 is one of those "must haves" for windows.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#10 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

Thanks guys for all your replies. This site has been God-send for me. I haven't done the clean install yet and I am trying to get armed with all I need to know before doing it.

#11 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:38 AM

some posts now as I go down the instructions page and I will post questions I may have. Hope you guys don't mind.

I want to delete the current partition right ?

When we get to formating part, what file system do I want ? FAT or NTFS ? I don't even know what I currently have. What would happen if I now have FAT but I choose to get NTFS at the reformating ? Will all my peripherals work ? I mean printer and scanner and such ?

Edited by SunnyTX, 09 June 2005 - 11:40 AM.

#12 SunnyTX

SunnyTX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

I am looking at XP CD that came from Dell and I don't see product key anywhere on the packaging. Hmmmm.....

Where can I find product key ?

Edit: N/M I found a utility that found the product key from my HD.

Edited by SunnyTX, 09 June 2005 - 12:10 PM.

#13 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

NTFS is far superior to FAT32, it allows for more space on your HD and is much more stable. There are a lot of benefits to NTFS, there's a nice little chart here

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

that'll tell you a lot more.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#14 Piney

Piney

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:44 PM

I have not installed SP2, since when it first was released there were many problems that may have been solved by Microsoft now.

One biggie that I do know that has occurred, a client of mine had her windows update on auto, the SP2 was auto downloaded and installed. Unfortunately, she had Nortons fw/av (two different applications, not the NIS combo) both enabled. The downloading and installing of SP2 crashed her Nortons and we played games with it all for a long long time. We needed to *thoroughly* uninstall all Norton's applications (which meant using their tools to remove and then a manual search for registry items), and uninstall of the SP2, again took a long time to accomplish. Re-download SP2, and finally reinstall Nortons AV first, with scans, updates, scans again and the setup of the application. Finally re-download the firewall and do all the setup and reconfiguring needed to make it work.

All the above means, disable firewalls and AV programs before doing the SP2 download.

Without the SP2 it is impossible to upgrade normal MS programs such as office, messenger and even update IE is supposed to require SP2.

Piney
Piney

Infected? Report it! <<<Click

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users