Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win32.trojandownloader.newmedia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ArtLund

ArtLund

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

Malware redirects browser and disables Cmd and Regedit. The first symptom of a problem was browser redirects. Usually the redirects were to pages that bore a relationship to the page I wanted in the first place. These bogus pages were almost always advertisements.

A second problem is that the malware has disabled the cmd and regedit commands. I can not execute them from the Run line, nor Explorer, nor the task manager. Interestingly I can execute the Command, Ping, Taskmgr and msconfig commands from the Run line. I discovered this cmd problem while attempting to execute your DDS application to gather the info you required. As you know DDS requires a DOS window. The regedit problem showed itself when I wanted to look at some of the registry keys that dealt with system commands (cmd/regedit).

ZoneAlarm Virus scan was clean. I downloaded and executed Malware's Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot and AdAware. Anti-Malware found rogue.errorsafe and removed a registry key. SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot were clean. AdAware turn up 4 instances of win32.trojandownloader.NewMedia. I requested AdAware to remove this malware and seem to remember a successful message from AdAware. However, today I noticed in the AdAware Quarantine log area that it had found 4 instanaces but only removed 3. That makes sense as the browser redirect problem still exists. So does the cmd/regedit problem.

I also used the online scan from McAfee and CA PestPatrol (I think PestPatrol was the name) Both ran clean.

I've done a fair amount of research and discovered there are a variety of was to attack these problems but I am reluctant to implement any of them with the limited malware troubleshooting knowledge I have. This is where your expertise comes in. I could use a little of your knowledge and a direction to pursue.

As I mentioned above I can not use your DSS application. The best I can offer is a HJT this file.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:46:21 PM, on 3/8/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\MediaServer\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$PINNACLESYS\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfPrn\SPrnAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
N1 - Netscape 4: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.com"); (C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\artlund\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: SnagIt Toolbar Loader - {00C6482D-C502-44C8-8409-FCE54AD9C208} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Snagit 9\SnagitBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Snagit - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Snagit 9\SnagitIEAddin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USRpdA] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-USRpdA
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF Converter Registry Controller] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfCnv\RegistryController.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSPrnAgent] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfPrn\SPrnAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\PSDrvCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [] C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/servlet/P...000022.0000004e
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [] (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [ATI Launchpad] (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [] (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open PDF in Word - res://C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfCnv\IEShellExt.dll /100
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\inetrepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\inetrepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\inetrepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://www.pestscan.com/scanner/ppctlcab.cab
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15030/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ss/sa...abs/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {56393399-041A-4650-94C7-13DFCB1F4665} (PSFormX Control) - http://www.ca.com/US/securityadvisor/pestscan/pestscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...b?1093400099640
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1128831428390
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) -
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac...ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15030/CTPID.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: GEARSecurity - GEAR Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pinnacle Systems Media Service (PinnacleSys.MediaServer) - Pinnacle Systems - c:\program files\pinnacle\shared files\programs\mediaserver\pmshost.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec RemoteAssist - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Support Controls\ssrc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SymSnapService - Symantec - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Shared\Drivers\SymSnapService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 7553 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ArtLund

ArtLund
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

Hopefully I am doing this correctly. The intent is to update my problem with additional information. After researching on this site, I now believe I am infected with a w32:daonol variant. The problem description in the following two posts match my situation perfectly.

www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=207290&hl=Win32:Daono
www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208323&hl=Win32:Daono

In my case, the aux keyword of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 does not equal= "wdmaud.drv". Instead, the key contains "C:\windows\system32\..\wibv.dwi". I can see other similarities in the resolution/s that match my situation. I also had to rename Regedit to re3edit in order to see the registry.

One further, interesting note. There is a link to a blog about the problem written by miekiemoes. If I try to go there my Firefox browser crashes. That's the only link that happens on. All others worked. As it appears that miekiemoes is instrumental in helping resolve this issue, is it possible that "whomever" is somehow blocking access to that blog????

I could try to follow the resolution instructions from the above mentioned posts, but I would rather wait for your expert advice. The sooner the better as I am now very much concerned as to what data may have been offloaded from my PC. Is this piece of malware just a big pain or is it more sinister than that?

#3 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

Hi,

Please download DaonolFix from the link below and save it to your Desktop
Download Mirror #1
  • Double-click DaonolFix.exe to run it.
  • Select 1. Find Daonol (no fix) by typing 1 and pressing Enter.
  • You will see a lot of files being listed - don't worry, they are just being scanned.
  • A log will open, please post the contents of that log in your next reply (it can also be found on your desktop, called DaonolFix.txt).
Note: Do not worry if the tool crashes or doesn't work in any way - it is a work in progress.

Download ComboFix by sUBs from here or here

Note: If you already have a copy of ComboFix on your system it is essential that you delete it before downloading this copy.

**Save it to your desktop**

Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts. If you are prompted to install the Recovery Console I recommend you go ahead and hit yes.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please save that log to post in your next reply along with a fresh HJT log

Notes:
  • Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.
  • ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser.
  • Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you - please let me know.
  • ComboFix disconnects your machine from the internet when it runs. This connection should be automatically restored when ComboFix completes its run. If ComboFix runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.
Thanks.
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 ArtLund

ArtLund
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thank you for responding to my problem, however I think I may have fixed it this morning. I have not posted that fact as I was waiting to see if it would act up during the day today.

My thinking and actions to hopefully, resolve this are as follows. While waiting for a response I did three things. I added noscript to Firefox which stopped the redirects temporarily, renamed regedit to re3edit so I could use the registry editor, and I analyzed a post concerning Win32.Daonol written by miekiemoes that I found in another thread. It seemed like the key to the problem is the registry data in the "aux", and/or, "aux*" value name of registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32. In my case, the value data for aux was "C:\windows\system32\..\wibv.dwi" and not the expected "wdmaud.drv". There were no other value names beginning with "aux". I used HijackThis to delete wibv.dwi on the next boot, which it did. I then changed the value of aux to "wdmaud.drv" from "C:\windows\system32\..\wibv.dwi". All seems to be well. The commands regedit, cmd, etc. now execute from the Run command line. Firefox doesn't redirect, but then again I have not disabled noscript to prove that point. Plus the miekiemoes blog site page is no longer blocked.

I also looked at the files wdmaud.drv and sysaudio.sys. It is my understanding that these files have been found to be part of the problem in other variants of this virus. Both of mine are the correct files and in their correct directories. Directory c:\windows\system32\drivers contains wdmaud.sys and sysaudio.sys. Directory c:\windows\system32 contains wdmaud.drv.

Does all look good so far?

Even though the problem seems to be resolved I am sending the information you requested in the event you spot something else that is amiss and amuck.

Again, thanks for responding and helping out.

DaonolFix Log
DaonolFix (13.03.09) by jpshortstuff
Log created at 22:28 on 14/03/2009 by Art Lund
Running from C:\Documents and Settings\Art Lund\Desktop\DaonolFix.exe

=====Find Daonol=====

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi2"="wdmaud.drv"
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer2"="wdmaud.drv"
"MSACM.CEGSM"="mobilev.acm"
"msacm.iac2"="C:\WINDOWS\System32\iac25_32.ax"
"msacm.imaadpcm"="imaadp32.acm"
"msacm.l3acm"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\l3codeca.acm"
"msacm.msadpcm"="msadp32.acm"
"msacm.msaudio1"="msaud32.acm"
"msacm.msg711"="msg711.acm"
"msacm.msg723"="msg723.acm"
"msacm.msgsm610"="msgsm32.acm"
"msacm.sl_anet"="sl_anet.acm"
"msacm.trspch"="tssoft32.acm"
"MSVideo8"="VfWWDM32.dll"
"vidc.cvid"="iccvid.dll"
"vidc.DIVX"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.I420"="vdrcodec.dll"
"vidc.iv31"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv41"="ir41_32.ax"
"vidc.iv50"="ir50_32.dll"
"VIDC.IYUV"="iyuv_32.dll"
"vidc.M261"="msh261.drv"
"vidc.M263"="msh263.drv"
"VIDC.MJPG"="Pvmjpg30.dll"
"vidc.mrle"="msrle32.dll"
"vidc.msvc"="msvidc32.dll"
"VIDC.PIM1"="pclepim1.dll"
"vidc.tscc"="tsccvid.dll"
"VIDC.UYVY"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YUY2"="msyuv.dll"
"vidc.yv12"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.YVU9"="tsbyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YVYU"="msyuv.dll"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave2"="serwvdrv.dll"
"wave3"="wdmaud.drv"
"wavemapper"="msacm32.drv"

-=Daonol Files=-
(none found)

-=End Of File=-

ComboFix Log
Could not supply this log. ComboFix complains that ZoneAlarm is active and that it is dangerous to continue unless ZoneAlarm is disabled. I rebooted and instructed ZoneAlarm to not load at bootup and it did not. However, ComboFix still complains about ZoneAlarm?????, so I did not continue. Will that be a problem?

HJT log
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:59:02 PM, on 3/14/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\MediaServer\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$PINNACLESYS\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfPrn\SPrnAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
N1 - Netscape 4: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.com"); (C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\artlund\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: SnagIt Toolbar Loader - {00C6482D-C502-44C8-8409-FCE54AD9C208} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Snagit 9\SnagitBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Snagit - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Snagit 9\SnagitIEAddin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USRpdA] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-USRpdA
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF Converter Registry Controller] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfCnv\RegistryController.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSPrnAgent] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfPrn\SPrnAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\PSDrvCheck.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [] C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/servlet/P...000022.0000004e
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [] (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [ATI Launchpad] (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [] (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open PDF in Word - res://C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfCnv\IEShellExt.dll /100
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\inetrepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\inetrepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\inetrepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://www.pestscan.com/scanner/ppctlcab.cab
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15030/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ss/sa...abs/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {56393399-041A-4650-94C7-13DFCB1F4665} (PSFormX Control) - http://www.ca.com/US/securityadvisor/pestscan/pestscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...b?1093400099640
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1128831428390
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) -
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac...ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15030/CTPID.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: GEARSecurity - GEAR Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pinnacle Systems Media Service (PinnacleSys.MediaServer) - Pinnacle Systems - c:\program files\pinnacle\shared files\programs\mediaserver\pmshost.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec RemoteAssist - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Support Controls\ssrc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SymSnapService - Symantec - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Shared\Drivers\SymSnapService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 7606 bytes

How can I get rid of this. It's an online virus scanner which I do not plan on using in the future and would like to be rid of it.

This is interesting. Is the missing file a problem?
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe (file missing)

#5 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hi,

Looks like you did a good job, no signs of your infection are present in the DaonolFix log.

The O16 Online Scanner entry is fine to fix in HijackThis if you don't need it. These are just ActiveX controls, so they are re-installed if you need them again.

RE the missing O23 file, first of all check that it is definitely missing - the (file missing) isn't always 100% reliable in O23 entries. If it isn't there, you could try re-installing the application. If you don't need it though, then there isn't really an issue here, unless you are getting errors or warnings about it.

I can see signs of Symantec in your log, but it doesn't seem to be running. Are you using an AntiVirus program (or is ZoneAlarm the full suite)?

Any other problems or questions?

Thanks.
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 ArtLund

ArtLund
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

Good news. That's one less thing to worry about.

I used HJT to "fix" the two 016 entires of the log that dealt with PestScan.

I just noticed that there were two 023 entries with missing files, one dealt with Symantec and one with Creative Labs. The 023 entry dealing with the missing Symantec file was associated with some sort of Symantec Technical Support Web Page (or something like that) which I found in Add/Remove programs. I removed it and that 023 missing file reference corrected itself. I don't know what the problem with the 023 Creative Labs entry is just yet but I will research and correct it.

I don't understand the Symantec entries. I removed Norton Anti Virus a couple of years ago and installed the Zone Alarm Security Suite in its place. At that time I used the removal tool from the Symantec site which was supposed to remove all traces of any and all Symantec products. I know the tool went through the motions because Norton Ghost was also removed. I had to re-install Ghost. It is still installed and used. One of two things may have happened. These Symantec entries in the HJT log may be there because of Norton Ghost, or they were never removed by the Symantec tool in the first place. This is a distinct possibility as Symantec has had problems uninstalling their products in the past. These entries don't seem to be doing any harm but I will look into it anyhow.

I have no further questions or problems.

I want to take the time to again thank you for your help. You took the uncertainty away from the actions I undertook and verified that I am now malware free!!

#7 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:06 AM

Glad I could help, though you did most of the work on this one :thumbup2:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users