Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP can't Defrag C due to scheduled chkdsk /f

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheManInTheCUBE

TheManInTheCUBE

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

Every time I try to start the DEFRAG C I receive a message stating the Chkdsk is scheduled to start on next re-boot, and Disc Defragmenter can not start until Chkdsk has performed it's job. The problem is that Chkdsk just never starts so I am stuff now not being able to defragment my hard drive.

Is there a way to unschedule Chkdsk so I can at least defragment my hard drive?

I've tried running chkntfs /D to return to defaults, BUT Disc Defragmenter still keeps on telling me that Chkdsk is scheduled on next redoot and cannot work until it has completed it's scan of the drive.

HELP>>>>>!

( & thanks)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

Have you looked in scheduled tasks to see if it is scheduled in there?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

IMO...your approach is wrong in that you want to kill the messenger which is telling you what ought to take place, in what sequence...to have a more functional system.

The scan which is done automatically by XP...occurs because it is overdue. It is not a complete scan of the designated partition, in the sense that running the chkdsk /r command manually actually results in a more complete scan of the partition.

What I suggest is to manually run chkdsk /r (space between the k and /) from inside XP anytime you get a prompt that it needs to be run.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r, hit OK or Enter. Black screen with white writing appears, informing you that chkdsk cannot run now and asking if you want it to run at next boot. Type Y and hit OK or Enter. Reboot the system and let the chkdsk /r command run to completion. The system will reboot when it is done.

After than, your defrag command should execute.

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Louis

#4 TheManInTheCUBE

TheManInTheCUBE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

IMO...your approach is wrong in that you want to kill the messenger which is telling you what ought to take place, in what sequence...to have a more functional system.

The scan which is done automatically by XP...occurs because it is overdue. It is not a complete scan of the designated partition, in the sense that running the chkdsk /r command manually actually results in a more complete scan of the partition.

What I suggest is to manually run chkdsk /r (space between the k and /) from inside XP anytime you get a prompt that it needs to be run.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r, hit OK or Enter. Black screen with white writing appears, informing you that chkdsk cannot run now and asking if you want it to run at next boot. Type Y and hit OK or Enter. Reboot the system and let the chkdsk /r command run to completion. The system will reboot when it is done.

After than, your defrag command should execute.

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Louis

THANKS..this worked..... & , again my gratitude for your help

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

Glad it worked for you...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users