Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bypassing windows logon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Some_A-hole

Some_A-hole

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

How does one get into windows to repair the pc without the user password? If someone gives me their PC for repair and it has a password I would be screwed. If I am reinstalling windows it wouldnt matter, but what about simple virus removal? Should I just put their HDD into my pc, or can I run ALL of the tools I need without booting the OS?
"Id like to leave you ladies and gentlemen with this frightening fact: Im not sure if youre aware of this, but if you took all the money that we in the West spend on food in one week, you could feed the Third World for one year. Im not sure about you people, but I think were being overcharged on groceries."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

I would think asking them for their password would suffice

#3 Some_A-hole

Some_A-hole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

I dont think everyone is gonna want to give me thier password.
"Id like to leave you ladies and gentlemen with this frightening fact: Im not sure if youre aware of this, but if you took all the money that we in the West spend on food in one week, you could feed the Third World for one year. Im not sure about you people, but I think were being overcharged on groceries."

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

Well, you can explain it maybe, so they can change immediately after you finish? Or you can suggest them to disable the system administrator password during repairs (change password in one that doesn't have any characters) so you are not prompted during repairs.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

You can install the hdd in another computer and run scans.

Other than the owner providing the password or installing it in another computer there is a forum rule which will prohibit us from assisting you any further.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Edited by dc3, 09 March 2009 - 09:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Some_A-hole

Some_A-hole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hmm ok I understand, this is by no means a black hat topic, or involve breaking any laws. I think if I wind up with a locked pc I will most likely put the HDD in another Pc or just run Knoppix. My only concern is that I will not be able to really test their PC on how they will be using it. How does geek squad get around this? What tools do they use?

#7 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

If someone gives me their PC for repair and it has a password I would be screwed.

I can't really see what the problem is here. If someone wants you to fix their PC then it must be on the understanding that they give you access to an Admin Account so that you can work on it. No one has ever refused to give me access to their PC when I have been asked to provide a fix.
Look at it this way, you wouldn't expect a plumber to fix a leaky tap without having access to your house would you.
Steve

#8 Some_A-hole

Some_A-hole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Well, I don't see people being happy about just giving me their passwords. I can see getting someone to unlock the PC first, but they might be unable to do so if the PC won't boot. (That is why I am helping). Also I can see the response "...umm yea it is unlocked"

I plan on doing many repairs in my workshop, not necessarily in front of the owner. I guess I will just have to pull out the HDD and work from their. A copy of Knoppix could help me with laptops that I don't want to open. I was just hopping there were some easier -=AND LEGAL=- solutions.

Edited by Some_A-hole, 09 March 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

If you have a legitimate business you shouldn't have a problem having the owner supply you with the password, most people will realize that in order for a tech to work on their computer they are going to need the pass word. I think that this is about as far as you are going to get with this one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.
bc forum rules

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users