Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux and Virtual PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

I'm just having trouble getting it to work with any of the distros I've picked.

I create the virtual HD, and start the computer, then I capture the iso of the distro and reboot. Ubuntu gives me the install screen, and runs a check then halts. SuSe lets me select install, and then goes to a black screen. I couldn't get Fedora to cooperate at all.

What's the trick? MS's Virtual PC has the capability. I must just be building it wrong?

PREDICTION: "Why not just use a live CD to sample your distros?" Because I'd like an OS up and running and functional while I explore and tinker with Linux. I really hate to crash the machine while leqarning something in terminal and then not have a way to learn how to recover it (ie, wiki or google or bc forums) when I exploded it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mas_pogi

mas_pogi

Carpal Tunnel of Love

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

hi.

Virtual PC doesn't support linux in term of VM addition aside from Suse and Redhat if I am not mistaken. But I already tried installaing Gutsy and Damn small linux in it. However I am not that happy because it doesn't have an VM addition. VM addition helps in like automatic mouse capture, drag and drop of files between host and guest.

Installing Ubuntu in VPC. Google
Ubuntu + Virtual PC + Arcanecode

For Damn small linux,
You can find the instruction in their forum.

If you can't make it work, try using Virtualbox. I have ran several distros in it without
a problem. Runs smoothly.

Mark

Edited by mas_pogi, 08 March 2009 - 10:49 PM.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

I run my ISO's with QEMU
qemu -cdrom mylinux.iso

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users