Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop fan makes noise then crashes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dboren23

dboren23

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

First let me say thank you to all of the awesome people that help folks like me. I truly appreciate your help and time.

As for my problem... My computer is an Acer Aspire 5672. I bought it in August of 2006. A couple of months ago the fan started to make an abnormal noise. It sounds like the fan is hitting something. The noise always starts when I turn the computer on. It will then get quiet for a couple of minutes and start up again. When the noise starts, the computer begins to lock up. I can always move the mouse, but I can't do anything else. Once the noise stops the computer will usually go back to normal. Sometimes the computer will crash and go to the "blue screen" and has to be restarted. I opened it up and blew out the inside but it didn't really help. The heat sink looked like it had overheated. There were a couple of parts that were black. I'm not sure what else to include, so I'll be glad to pass on any more useful info.

Thanks again for the time and help.

-Denver Boren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

Sounds like a definite fan issue. Most fans run on ball-berrings (bbs) that are usually greased up to allow the motion of the fan to spin. Once these berrings lose that oil/grease, they begin to make the fan shake. This causes a noise that sounds like someone might be holding a pin to the fan blades. Once this happens, the fan spins at a slower speed. I personally have seen CPU fans go from 2100 RPM, to 1200 RPM just because of this. This will make your processor run hotter than normal. One example is the VISIONTEK HD 4870, which spins at 25% by default. Mine was running 81 degrees C, but I manually changed it to stay at 45% and now it runs at 42 degrees C. This is a huge difference for just 20%, and you could possibly be loosing 30-50% due to this. I would replace the problem fan and check it.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 dboren23

dboren23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

I'll give that a try. It'll take a little time to get that part and get it put in. As soon as I get it I'll post the results. Do you think I'll need a new heat sink as well or is that unnecessary? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users