Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damn popups

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#46 robinmuir

robinmuir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:53 AM

Right, did all that:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drv2cltr.dll Found and deleted.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\loadctr.exe Couldn't find.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rdsndin.exe Found and deleted also found and deleted from prefetch file.

C:\WINDOWS\svcproc.exe Couldn't find.

cshzx.exe Couldn't find.

New HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 14:45:53, on 19/06/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Robin\Desktop\Utilities\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegProt] c:\documents and settings\robin\desktop\regprot\regprot.exe /start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScriptSentry] C:\Program Files\Script Sentry\ScriptSentry.exe /check
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/kws/kav...can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion...ctor/WebAAS.cab
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:17 AM

Hi robinmuir. The log is clean. I am really curious to know about the popups? Have they stopped now? Hve you gotten any warnings from Ewido or your firewall regarding rouge applications?

Cheers.

OT

Edited by OldTimer, 19 June 2005 - 10:19 AM.

I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#48 robinmuir

robinmuir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

So far, so good. But as this one has a nasty habit of coming back, I think it would not be wise to say it has gone just yet. I am going to surf for another 24hrs or so, then post back. Many, many thanks for all your help. I hope it helps anyone else who also gets this.

BTW, does this qualify as one of the worst (single) pieces of spyware you have dealt with?

#49 robinmuir

robinmuir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:41 PM

As of now, I have had NO POPUPS!!!

However, AVG detected cisvvc.exe again. It was able to remove it and a subsequent scan shows clear. Heres hoping. Once again, many thanks. :thumbsup:

#50 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hi robinmuir. Good to hear! Let's give it a few more days and then drop me a line again (whenever you are comfortable that it is not coming back). Then we can reset the things that we changed and I have some good free programs and suggestions for you.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#51 robinmuir

robinmuir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Many thanks OT, I will return in a few days time.

#52 robinmuir

robinmuir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

No popups since 19th. No Virus warnings either. I think we can safely say problem solved: THANK YOU OT. I could have just reformatted, but then the spyware would have "won". And now if (when) anyone else gets this at least we will know what it is.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions, OT

#53 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

Hi robinmuir. I'm glad to hear that there are no more popups or infection warnings. It's never fun to let the bad guys win :thumbsup:

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.

First, let's reset your hidden/system files and folders. System files are hidden for a reason and we don't want to have them openly available and susceptible to accidental deletion.* Click Start.
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading UNSELECT Show hidden files and folders.
* CHECK the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm.
* Click OK.
Next, let's clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs:
  • SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
  • SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute.
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.
You should also have a good firewall and a good antivirus application like the ones you are currently using. It is critical to have both a firewall and antivirus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit monthly. And to keep your system clean run these free malware scanners
weekly, and be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Have a safe and happy computing day!

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#54 robinmuir

robinmuir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

Hi OT. I have now restored everything. I was already using Spybot S&D and AdAware, but I have now added Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard and I-E Spyware guard. (these programs should be compulsory) I have a hardware firewall and Zone Alarm. My antivirus (which I have always used) is AVG.

Microsoft Antispyware is also running. I also already had Script Sentry and Registry Protect running.

I am willing to bet that even with all this, something will still get through at some point as devious as these spyware writing cretins are :thumbsup:

I never use Outlook, I always use webmail such as Yahoo with a built in antivirus. I also use Firefox as much as possible, although there are instances where I have to use I.E unfortunately.

I would love to know which website I got this nasty from so that I never visit it again. I suppose thats not possible though.

Once again, MANY THANKS OT :flowers:

#55 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:17 AM

You're very welcome robinmuir. I'm glad that we could help.

It certainly sounds like you're well protected at this point, but it does seem to be a constant game between virus writer and virus fighters. As soon as one side finds a solution to the other side's tactics new tactics are developed. But knowledge is power and we have both gained a great deal of it in this process. Use it to your advantage and keep up the good fight.

Now that your malware issues have been resolved I will close this topic. If you need it reopened for this same issue then please PM me. If you have any new issues in the future then please start a new topic.

Cheers.

Keep on computing!

OT :thumbsup:
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users